PDA

View Full Version : moving discus & home

milton
05-22-2003, 05:18 PM
at the end of next month i'll be moving house and so thought of maybe upgrading my tank at the same time so my ? is whats the least stressfull/fastest way to go about it and assuming that i can remove most of the water from one tank to the other.

thx in advance

Willie
05-22-2003, 05:28 PM
You don't need to move water from one tank to another. Just move your filtration system to the new tank, add water and presto, instant cycling. Make several large water changes prior to the move so that the discus are sitting in pristine move during the transition period.

Willie

Carol_Roberts
05-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Is the water similiar at both the new and old house? If so then just follow Willie directions. If the water is a lot different at the new house bring fresh, clean water from your old house, not dirty tank water.

You'll want to set the new tank up at least 24 hours before bringing over the fish and filter. That way you can be sure it is the proper temp, leak free and water stabilized. Then just add discus and filter from old tank.

Willie
05-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Carol;

Consider the situation. We're guys. If we were organized and planned ahead, we'd have nothing to do. ;) ;) ;)

Willie

milton
05-24-2003, 04:14 PM
on a side note for this new tank i was wondering how much laterite is need to put in it, say 300lt tank also is there any problems with discus and laterite/sand mix as at the moment mines just sand and the fish are fine were as most of the plants on the other hand just seem to die of after 1 or 2 mths.

Luca
05-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Hey Milton, I've never had success with plants in a normal gravel bottom tank, i now have at the very bottom a thin layer of clay, separated from normal gravel stones with some black weed matting (with slits cut into it so i can put the plant's roots through) and i have been much better success!

Lighting is another issue you may not have enough.

Some people use soil as a substrate but i've heard it can be messy, i'm sure weed-matting would reduce it considerably however :)

goodluck,
Luca.

95jeepxj
05-30-2003, 12:22 AM
I've been using eco complete from carib sea with pretty good results so far.

jake

milton
05-30-2003, 09:01 AM
thx's for the info

Harriett
05-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Substrate! When I set up my tank, I layered Profile (a fairly inexpensive inert aquatic clay: looks like small reddish gravel--got it at a garden /nursery supply place) on the bottom few inches and then put down a couple inches of regular aquarium gravel (1/16 to 1/8 inch diam type). Plants grow pretty well in it--the profile leaches up to the surface and mixes with the gravel from vacuuming the substrate every week--it looks very natural--the profile tends to sink back down after a bit. Easy to work with, doesn't compact, fine roots grow very well. I've had it going for a year now and am pretty happy with the results..
Best regards,
Harriett