PDA

View Full Version : suggestions needed

Qbal18
05-23-2003, 11:15 PM
ok i have a 50g planted tank that i have been running since oct. a month ago i ran into a REALL bad case of cyno to the point i had to remover all plants and trat them with meds and sterialize the sand substrate. i replanbted everythign after 1 week. this was dosne this past sunday (5dys ago) i now have lots of green dust and spot alge, brobaly due to the like new planted tank(this is ok thoguh) i have 2, 3.5" discus in there, i had 2 other 2.5-3" ones but moved them to a Qtnak to treat for waroms 3 weeks ago. i belive i have done this now and wish to move them back soon but the 2 in the planted tnak look very scared the past 2 days i thingk it may be from the water condions from resetting up the plants should i move the 2 fromthe Qtank to the planted one and see what happens or move them all tothe 10g even though it is a bit small?

bloom
05-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Don't know for sure what's the best thing for you to do, but I had a 55g tank once that I set up and had discus in almost immediatley. Got some advice from a guy at my lfs who kept discus that if I did regular wc (at least every other day) to keep ammonia, etc low and water clean they would do fine, and they did. Bye the way, with the worms, were the discus wild discus, or did they get them from eating some live food? The reason I'm asking is that first tank I had with discus, I thought every other thing was some disease and medicated, etc., and found out later that it was key to just do alot of water changes and try to mess with the discus as little as possible other than that. Somehting about medication accumulating in their bodies not being good, but don't know a lot about the details with that. All this may not be of any help for you b/c you've been keeping discus for years--if so sorry! Not meaning to insult your discus keeping knowledge. :)

Steve

ChloroPhil
05-24-2003, 10:14 PM
I'd keep them in your quarantine tank for another few weeks to let your plants re-establish themselves. It can't hurt the fish to have some extra time in a tank where you can feed more heavily than you usually do too. Fatten them back up for return to their regular home.