PDA

View Full Version : Holy Hygro Batman!

bloom
05-25-2003, 11:19 AM
I'm seeing a lot of holes on the lower leaves of my hgro (polysperma), with older leaves starting to disintegrate/fall off. The hygro is slowly growing towards the water and there is new growth lower on the stems as older leaves fall off.

Also have had some older anubias nana and coffefolia leaves fall off, and a lot of the anubias congensis leaves have little black tips and the ends of the congensis leaves droop over (curve down). All the anubias, exept for 1 new plant I just added, are growing new leaves; java fern is growing new plants; new growth on bolbitis. Plants are fairly new--been planted about 3 1/2 weeks. Had a little thread algae twice-- when I stirred up the substrate when planting or let indirect sun hit the tank, but no algae now other than a little green spot that came on one of the new nana's. Tank info:

Tank: 56g 30x18x24h
Lighting: 1 Sylvania 20w gro-lux, 1 18w T8 "daylight" bulb (not planning on adding more light now)
No CO2
Substrate: 1 bag (15lbs) red flourite, 35-40 lbs fine sand
ph: 6.8
NO3: approx 5-6 ppm
KH: 2
GH: 6
Fish, critters: 3 neos, 2 ottos, 7 amano shrimp, and ordered a SAE from lfs
WCs: 20-25% approx. 1/wk now.

I've read that holes on lower hygo leaves is a sign of low K. A guy in the lab at my local water co. said he wasn't sure what K levels were in the water, but that sodium level was approx. 22ppm and that K should be present at about 1/2 to 2/3 the level of the sodium, so 10-15ppm K? Been adding just a little K now with wcs--just enough to add 1ppm to the approx 10g new water added to the tank at the wc (was thinking I should start adding just a little with my low light and the possible presence of a fairly good amount of K in the tap water, although I'm not sure about how much there really is).

I wasn't sure if should add more K to help with problem with the hygro or if it wouldn't help much b/c my light is too low. One thing that may be relevant re the light is that there are a few really short stems of hygro planted in the sub., and the top leaves on those are growing (no holes) although slowly. Also not sure if I need to do anything to correct the old anubias leave falling off, or if that's just something that is happening as part of their acclimating to the new tank. Or if I should add somehting to the water to correct the black congensis tips?

Thanks for the help. :wave:

Steve

ChloroPhil
05-25-2003, 10:57 PM
I'm willing to bet it's a lack of light and CO2. If your upper foliage is doing alright/normal and the lower stuff isn't (including low growing plants) it's a light issue. The couple small NO fluorescent bulbs you mentioned would corroborate my guess as well.