PDA

View Full Version : Jack Taylor

05-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Hi All,
Just wanted you to know that we got another email from Jack Taylor yesterday. He stated in that email that he has not received any snail mail/packages from any of us. The delivery system stinks over there. Could all of you please email Jack. He would love to hear from you. His address is jacktaylor@gimail.af.mil
As most of you know Jack's birthday is this Saturday, May 31st please send a birthday greeting to him that day.
Here is the latest pic from Jack.

Thanks everyone!!!

Tracey

Ryan
05-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the update, Tracey. Jack has been e-mailing me back and forth as well. He said that they are no longer on 12 hour shifts, so he has a lot more time now for e-mail. He is glad to get it! I'll have to send him another few e-mails to let him know what's going on :) I hope everyone can drop him a note to say hello!

Ryan

April
05-26-2003, 10:58 AM
ive been emailing him and sending pics etc. as much as i can in an email. im sure hes the only one over there getting excited about getting a fish picture. lol.
so..send him a pic on his emails also. im sure hed like any tidbit he can get.

TheDiscusKid
05-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Come home soon Jack :)

Bruce

05-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Heard from Jack again today and he finally received some of the snail mail that we had sent....only took a month but he still has not received the care package that was sent...that was two months ago!
Just wanted you to know

Tracey

05-31-2003, 03:28 PM
Jack OLD BUDDY :o

and yes! you are getting OLDer ;D Get home soon man ;)

"Happy Birthday"

Your Friend
Beth

Carol_Roberts
05-31-2003, 03:52 PM
:balloon: :balloon: :balloon:Happy Birthday Jack :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

April
06-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Happy Birthday Jack!!!! sent you your card email. faster i decided. : ))
:balloon: :balloon: :balloon: :balloon:

brewmaster15
06-02-2003, 10:11 AM
I sure hope he got more of the snail mail /packages that were sent to him :-\.

Hope you had a great day Jack!!!!

-al

Mike_Wells
06-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Happy B day Jack...

Good luck and be safe bro..

Mike

CARY_GLdiscus
06-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Happy B-Day Jack

Also bring that gun home I need it for someone LOL!

Cary Gld!

April
06-02-2003, 05:06 PM
LOL Cary. hope you dont need it against your dear mother!!

06-03-2003, 08:44 AM
here is a copy of Jack's latest letter....Randy

Jack

June 3, 2003

News from Iraq,

I have been at Kirkuk over a month now. Conditions are fine and getting better weekly. They are in the process of building a tent city here for roughly 2200 Air Force personnel. Once completed, we will start to move in. This is unlike Tallil. We moved before the area was completed and had some struggles with the setup. This area will have shower facilities, washers and dryers, recreation areas and 8 people to a tent. That will give us extra room to build shelves and make it our home for the duration. It means packing everything up again but it will be great getting a permanent home. The tents we are in are fine but there is 27 of us together. We have a 2 shift operation so you have to be courteous of the other shift. I have gotten used to carrying a calumet light stick in the tent and using it as ambient light. We do have air conditioners to cool things off. Temperatures have reached 110 at times so it would be miserable trying to rest. The heat warms the water bottles that we shower with. So we do have hot water when there isn't rain or clouds. We actually had 2 rain showers in the last week. All that does is make one huge muddy mess.

Our work days have shortened as well. We support the flying schedule which consists of a 2 turn 2. That means 2 airplanes fly a mission and then go back up later that day again. Not a bad work schedule at all. In essence, the bombs and missiles have stopped being dropped. The pilots provide close air support during any type of Search and Rescue mission. We have had helicopters crash as of late so we have helped the recovery efforts. There are still factions of thugs out there and the efforts are to catch as many as possible. Several convoys have been fired upon by these groups. We are restricted to base here so there isn't any action happening. I'm safe as can be but there is always potential for a mortar attack or rocket propelled grenades. The Army raided a house that had mortars with the base coordinates in it. So we still watch out but aren't as susceptible as when we first arrived.

Thanks to all who sent cards for my 40th birthday. Not all have arrived yet so I'm still waiting. The same with packages. Some still haven't arrived from our last location. The new address is working well. Mail has made it here in as little as 7 days !!!!!! So we just keep a eye on the transport planes that land and hope they carry the mail in. There was and probably still is a big backlog of mail in Bagdad as well as Germany. The flights to Kirkuk are somewhat limited due to the runway. Not all transport planes can land here. The last and biggest setback with mail is having it forwarded. Mail from Tallil has to go to Germany to be rerouted back to Kirkuk. So hence the same limited flights daily !!!!!! The wheels of change are slow !!!!!! I received 18 boxes one day from Grainger. That was the largest group of packages addressed to one person so far. We had fun opening them up and all shared in the contents !!!!! We really appreciate the efforts of everyone who has helped us endure the time away from home. E-mails have been a life line to the outside world.

The city had local elections and swore in a new mayor and city government. This is a much anticipated event here and the local people are so happy to be done with the Saddam regime. There are still 4 ethnic groups here so everyone is not happy. They are learning to work with one another to make the country work. The Air Force is cleaning this base up and hopefully will return it to the local people one day.

Now the most important question on our minds. When will we be home? That question should be answered in a couple weeks for sure. Right now it could be as late as November 30. I will let everyone know for sure when the word is official. I know the president said most of the troops will be home in July. But as a Air force A-10 unit, we still have a commitment to support missions as part of the Air Expeditionary Force (AEF) Our cycle starts July 15 through November 15. Then you pack up, wait for airlift, and then head for home. We will know details very soon.

Once again, that you all for what you have done for our morale and well being. Times have been rough at first but they are sure turning out well. My calendar is marking the days until I make it home.

Jack

Kap
06-09-2003, 11:00 PM
Happy Birthday, and come home soon! BTW, what's the discus situation over there?

Debbie
06-10-2003, 01:28 AM
Happy birthday Jack. Come home save and soon. Wow the big 40!

Discus_KC
06-10-2003, 02:31 AM
Thanks for all the birthday wishes !!!!!! You sure made my day !!! I guess I'll celebrate with the family when I get back !!!!

My sister let me in on the devious plot of hers. I love her to death so I let her off the hook. She has the big day coming up in 2 years !!!!!!!!

Once again, even so far away, you continue to cheer my up !!!!!!

Jack

Jean
06-10-2003, 08:18 AM
;DBetter late than never~~~~~

:balloon:Happy Birthday Jack!!!:balloon:

Jean ;D 8)

fcdiscus
06-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Happy B- Day Jack! Remain safe. Frank ;)

Tracey
06-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Here is the latest Pic from Jack

for those of us with bad eyes(me included) the sign in the truck reads:
"One weekend a month my a$$"

Tracey

06-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi Jack,
This is Beth's daughter Ashley.
Come home safe. Everyone is missing your everyday posts on simply. :waaa:

Smash

Discus_KC
06-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Ashley,

I will do one better for you !!!!!!! I will visit in person !!!!! How's that ????

Jack

Smashley_P
06-16-2003, 05:57 PM
Hi Jack,
Sounds pretty good to me. So when will you be coming in? My moms fish had babies free swiming yesterday and one of the parents ate most of them :(

My mom wakes up in the morning talking to her fish.
:crazy:. She says, " Good morning all you best good babies in the house!" :funny:

Smash

Discus_KC
06-16-2003, 09:14 PM
Ashley,

I will know for sure in the coming weeks !!!!!!!! Right now it could be November at the latest and July as the earliest !!!!!!

Jack

Smashley_P
06-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Hey Jack,
Hopefully you are going to get back somewhere around July. I can't wait to see you.
Do you know when you will be coming to Louisiana again ????

Smash

Discus_KC
06-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Smash,

Once I get home, I have work to do on the fishroom before I go anywhere. But you can be assured that once things are going, I will make that roadtrip to see you !!!!!!

I sense some Cajun cooking !!!!!!!!

Jack