PDA

View Full Version : water storage tank

barron
05-27-2003, 04:46 AM
I heard of people using garbage cans, food containers, fish tanks and ever small kiddy pools. I am requesting information on using, (clear plastic 70 quart storage totes made by rubber maid). I recall reading somewhere that the color totes leach toxins, but the clear ones were safe. Is this true? This is only for water aging. Thanks

Very Fishy
05-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Barron,

I have heard the same about leached toxins. But in any event, I use a coloured rubbermaid storage container for aging my water and have not noticed any ill effects on my fish from it. Due to the frequent water changes, I do not think the water is stored long enough in the container to have any major effect. Has anyone out there actually had a bad experience from leached toxins?

korbi_doc
05-27-2003, 09:51 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Nope! I use the 32gal RM tubs (brown) on wheels. Easier for me (old). A very little fold over the wheels, but does not progress, age water for 48+hrs. No problems so far, & would be worth it to me to replace every so often if necessary, not so far, over a yr & half. Dottie ;D

dm
05-27-2003, 08:34 PM
HEY! *raising hand in the air*

I know this one. ;D

I have been working in the plastic industry for over 20 years as a Process Engineer so believe me when I tell you that the color will not leach out from the plastic. It is extruded and mixed with the plastic before the container is even molded and can be considered food grade. The color can fade due to UV and sometimes the surface will oxidize if an anti-oxidant is not added to the resin. Either way this will not hurt anything. I wouldnt worry about it.

barron
05-29-2003, 02:43 AM
Thank You, Dale,Dottie and Very Fishy. I will use the storage containers it makes it real easy to move, not like 75
or even 25 gal. glass tanks. Best of all you can stack them inside each other.