PDA

View Full Version : anubias on wood

Ann
05-28-2003, 02:48 AM
I have some anubias plants on wood in a discus tank and would just like to know if I can still add the ferrous iron and calcium citrate tablets by tucking them into the root systems of the plants or is it better to go with a liquid fertilizer since they have no roots in the gravel.

Ann

Bass
05-28-2003, 09:14 AM
Hi Ann,

I’ve kept an annubias in an otherwise bare Discus tank for over 18months. It started out small and now it’s massive, and still flowers continually.

The waste from the Discus, and the minerals from the (literally) endless, (but devoutly endured), water changes, seem to be more than enough to keep it healthy.

Just concentrate on your babies and the annubias will be fine :)

Francisco_Borrero
05-28-2003, 09:36 AM
I agree with Bass. The fertilizer deal will get very expensive and wasteful due to water changes, and I don't believe you will see the effects. The Anubias will do just fine without it. That has been my experience.
Cheers, Francisco.

ChloroPhil
05-28-2003, 09:25 PM
One more...I third Bass' thinking. You're going to have more than a sufficient nutrient load in your water to grow Anubias. The only thing you _may_ need to add would be a source of Carbon and Potassium. Everything else will be supplied by your fish. Most anubias will grow well without them, but if you start to see problems with your plants then adding Seachem Excel and Flourish wouldn't be a bad idea.