PDA

View Full Version : MAY MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - JEFF DOTY

DarkDiscus
05-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, first let me apologize for the lateness of the May Spotlight, but even I get a vacation once in a while. Next month I'll see about getting it in early to make up for your patience. In any event, heres Jeff Doty!

Q - Please tell us all a little about yourself. Single, married, attached? Other hobbies? Any significant non-discus achievements you want to brag about?

A - Hello Everyone. First let me say it is a very big honor to be selected for the May member spotlight. Thank you!

Now then, I am 40 years old, married, and have one daughter, a dog, and a cat. I live in Hillsboro Oregon, about 20 miles west of Portland. I am a native Oregonian, and can not foresee living anywhere else, as I love this part of the world. I have worked for the County Elections Department for the past 15 years, and find it a very enjoyable line of work. I am sure I will retire from there someday.

My other hobbies include, time with family and friends, enjoying nature, weightlifting and keeping fit, music, and current events.

Q - How did you get into discus? Where was the first discus you saw? How long had you been into fish first?

A - I started fish keeping in 1992 when my wife twisted my arm into buying a used 55 gallon tank and stand, with several large cichlids. As the story goes, she soon lost interest, and I was hooked! I saw my first discus in Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine soon after getting into the hobby, but did not actually get any until 1996 when I bought 4 juvenile turquoise discus at the local fish store.

Q - How did you decide to take the plunge into breeding as a professional endeavor?

A - Well, after having discus for several years, and enjoying them in a community tank setting, I decided to attempt to have them spawn for me, as it was considered a challenge in the fish keeping hobby. One correction would be that I am not a professional breeder in the sense that I do not make a living from discus. I would describe myself as a hobbyist breeder. After getting my first pair of discus, and after the first few spawns, it just came naturally to expand into several pairs.

Q - Sorry about that, Jeff! What were the major obstacles involved in setting up as a hobbyist breeder? Any advice for aspiring breeders?

A - The most important obstacles I have worked on are, water movement, meaning how to get the water into and out of the tanks, as you move a large amount of water every day, and covering the added expenses of keeping a lot of fish and tanks.

My advice to aspiring breeders would be to:

Purchase only from reputable sources, which means doing your homework.
Purchase the best quality stock. Dont try to save a few dollars on what looks like a good deal, because it probably isnt.
Read everything available on discus and the aquarium hobby.
Commit yourself to water changes.
Remember to stop and observe your discus everyday.
Work with strains that interest you, and give you motivation.
Be 100% honest with others.
Consider all available information, but do what makes sense to you.
Enjoy your discus, and share them with others.

Q - How many pairs do you currently have producing? How many tanks?

A - I currently have about 5 pairs. I sold off several pairs a couple of months ago, so I have reduced my volume for a while.

I have about 25 tanks, and don’t foresee getting more in the near future. More is not always better. Of course, we all have to learn that for ourselves! LOL I could double my current system if needed.

Q - What strains are you the most happy with? Which do you think need some work? Are you working on anything new and exciting now? What strain/s do you like best, personally?

A - I think that a quality red turquoise, royal blue, or cobalt discus is hard to beat. I think any strain might need work, depending on how inbred it is, and the offspring that are being produced. I personally like the traditional strains as mentioned above, red turquoise, royal blue, and cobalt, and any wild discus strains.

Q - Any tips on breeding or raising discus?

A - Number one is to be patient! Also, dont be afraid to experiment. Use a bare bottom tank and try adding some sand change the type of spawning surface cover the tank turn off the light turn on the light put another pair in the next tank so the pairs can see each other; add water from a pair that is spawning to the tank of a non-spawning pair; don’t change water for a few days, just siphon off the bottom; only fill the tank ¾ full, let water splash down from a filter return; do a water change with colder water, or warmer water; dont feed the pair for a few days; add another discus to the tank; move the pair into a larger tank with another pair; break the pair and put them with other discus, etc. I think you get the idea.

Q - What do you feed your discus? You must go through a ton of fish food!

A - I feed them anything they will eat! Home made beef heart mix, frozen foods, flake, pellet, blackworms, red worms, mosquito larvae, etc.

Q - What is your most exhilarating moment with discus?

A - When a pair has fry on their back, or is tending young fry, and working together to protect them.

Q - What is your most frustrating moment with discus?

A - Seeing a pair eat spawn after spawn. Doing everything right, and still have fish get sick and die.

Q - Do you have any future discus plans that you would like to share with us?

A - My future plans are to continue to work with wild discus, and hopefully breed the Heckel discus some day.

Q - How do those in your life feel about discus?

A - They dont understand, but they know it is important to me, so they offer their support.

Q - Do you have any funny, amusing or interesting discus stories to share with us?

A - Well, lets see, I once had 3 pairs breed within the span of 2 days in the same tank! They were in a 110 gallon 6 foot tank, and one pair spawned at each end on flower pots, and the 3rd pair spawned on a large rock in the center of the tank. One male decided all the fry were going to be his, and started stealing fry from the other pairs. He would sneak up behind a barrier, and then wait for the parent with the fry on their back to come near him, then jump out and grab a few fry in his mouth and head back to the female and deposit the fry on her. After a few times of this, she was not a very happy discus! Too many fry! It was a great experience, and it was amazing to see several hundred fry roaming around from pair to pair.

Q - Do you have any thanks or credit to give for your success with discus? Any mentors or colleagues who you think deserve some kudos?

A - Dennis Hardenburger has been my mentor, since he sold me my first pair. He has endured many long emails full of questions, and has happily answered every one. He is a great person and a wonderful friend. He is extremely modest, and is one of the most skilled discus breeders you will ever meet. I also owe much thanks to another friend Yvan Alleau. He has taught me an incredible amount about fish keeping, and has become a very good friend. He showed me that there is more than one way to be successful with discus. Many others have been responsible for helping me develop my skills, including, Brewmaster, Chad Bertoni, Jim Quarles, Cary Strong, Carol Roberts, Ryan Smith, Larry Matincheck, John Nicholson, and many others who I am not naming. Thank you all!

Q - What do you see as the future of discuskeeping? More/less people? Any cool ideas for strains?

A - I see the future of discus keeping as becoming bigger every year. They are starting to lose their reputation for being difficult, the prices have come down, their availability has increased, they are peaceful and can be kept in a community setting, the internet has offered anyone a chance to learn about them, you can buy them from the other side of the country and have them shipped to your door, they come in every color of the rainbow, what could be better!

I think that the Heckel Discus has a huge potential to provide unique and beautiful strains. Wild discus like the Curipera that many folks are working with, and that Dennis has spawned, offer unlimited potential. And of course, when it comes to pigeon blood discus, anything can happen!

Q - Can you think of anything I left out you would like to bring up - either personally or discus related?

A - The only thing that comes to mind is, there are as many opinions about discus and discus keeping as there is people. Do what you like, and dont let those that are critical spoil your enjoyment of your discus.

heavyp83
05-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Good interview as usual! Always very interesting!

Francisco_Borrero
05-28-2003, 10:05 AM
Never mind the lateness John. Great stuff.
Thanks so very much Jeff and John. I really enjoy the spotlights and they let us know each other.

Cheers, Francisco.

Tonyintx
05-28-2003, 12:38 PM
It's always great to hear stories from other people, great job to both of you. P.S. pics please lots of pics.

fcdiscus
05-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Great job guys! Let's see some pictures! Frank 8)

brewmaster15
05-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Nice job as always John!!! and whats this about Vacations? who approved that one! hey I have a bottle of Barolo that needs our attention soon! :)

Jeff,
Great interview thanks for sharing your life with us. Its great learning more about you!

The only thing I can think of that would be a valued add on here is some pics...
Jeff and family
Jeff and discus
Jeff and Uaru
Discus and more discus
;D ;D ;D ;D

-al

Carol_Roberts
05-28-2003, 08:05 PM
Great interview Jeff and John. :thumbsup:
Let's see fishroom pictures and pictures of your favorite discus . . . .

paulmat
05-29-2003, 03:24 AM
Hey where are the pictures, I wanna see all them beautiful fish of yours Jeff ;D
Thanks for the insight John, you did a good job :thumbsup:

Paul :guitarist:

Ardan
05-29-2003, 06:23 AM
Great Job!!

Nice interview, nice information! :)

BLUEKNIGHT
05-30-2003, 01:16 AM
GREATTTTTTT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!! now how about some pics

Nightowl
05-30-2003, 01:31 AM
Great spotlight! Would love to have seen the tank w/ the 3 pairs and the male stealing fry. ... what could beat that!! :vanish:

Dennis_Hardenburge
05-30-2003, 02:18 PM
Good interview.
I am going to add a little here.
It seemed like it was a very short time ago I gave Jeff a very reasonable price on a young pair of turquiose that had spawned twice, I knew this pair would be successful for him,and they were.
Well after that it seems like every time Jeff e-mailed me, he had aquired more fish and more tanks and it wasn't long before he definately had more fish and tanks than I do, and fish spawning every where.
He took off like a hurricane and has given most of his free time to the fish and to gaining knowledge.
I have never seen any one become so successful and knowledgable in as short a time as Jeff has.
He is constantly upgrading his fish room and resently drilled all his aquariumas to help cut the man hours invovled to maintane the number of fish he has.
I think one of his biggest goals are to breed heckel to heckel, and he has some top notch young heckels he is growing out, I am sure he will be successful with them.
Great job Jeff Doty.
Dennis

Very Fishy
05-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Great interview... very interesting!! :thumbsup:

discus_nw
05-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Good interview guys. I would like to add, having knowing Jeff for several years now via the discus forums, and having the pleasure of personally meeting Jeff a couple of years ago at the Dick Au talk sponsored by The Greater Portland Aquarium Society, and meeting him there again last year, and being to his home, Jeff is also just a truly good guy. It's been a pleasure meeting and spending some time with him and his fish. (Dennis H., too)

afick1975
05-31-2003, 07:41 AM
Were are the pictures of the fish???????????????

Andre

Tyler
05-31-2003, 01:16 PM
Great interview Jeff, thanks for letting us get to know you better!

Tyler

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Thank you everyone.

I will do my best to post some pictures over the next few days.

Jeff

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Wild Brown Pair. Different from the one above.

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Shot of the 3 pairs with all their fry.

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Wild brown female and tuquoise x pigeonblood male.
Wigglers are pasted on the piece of wood.

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 07:53 PM
Young Heckel x turquoise pair I have been working with. Nothing yet.

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 07:55 PM
Another wild brown spawn.

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 08:02 PM
A pair of angels and their fry.

Jeffery_Doty
05-31-2003, 08:03 PM
A pair of Microgeophagus Altispinosa and fry.

rickk
05-31-2003, 08:34 PM
Hi Jeff

They are just awesome. Its shots like these that inspire me.
Thank you for posting them. I would love to see more

Rick

CARY_GLdiscus
06-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Good Job Guys ;)

Dennis_Hardenburge
06-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Jeff
You missed the Oscars
and the Rams and
Sorry but Jeff's place is looking more like the local fish store every time I go up there, just heavey on the Discus
Nice pictures Jeff
Dennis

06-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Hi Jeff,

aren't those rams M. Ramirezi or German Rams?

thanks

alex

Jeffery_Doty
06-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Alex,

No, the rams are the Bolivian Ram, Microgeophagus Altispinosa. They are large, and look more like an Acara, that the M. Ramirezi. I keep both types.

German blue rams pictured below.

Jeff
Oregon

Kap
06-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Thanks for posting the pics, Jeff; they really make an interesting interview come alive, especially the triple-pair shot with all the fry! Best wishes in your future breeding efforts with the Heckels.

--Kap

harryJ
06-04-2003, 12:50 AM
Hey Jeff, Glad to see you are getting your dues. Haven't been around for a long time me and Karin are so into horses now that we don't have much time to be on the computer. :'( :'( :'( The discus we got from you when we came down to Oregon are HUGE and everyone made it. 8) Well I hope everyone is cool and maybe myself and Karin can try to make some time to talk to you all. Take care Harry & Karin P.S. April the Discus we got when we came up to see you are great to.

Tad
06-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Jeff,
Congratulations on being selected Simplys Mays spotlighted Member. Great interview and its great learning more about you all of the time....Your picture of the 3 pairs is one of my all time favorites and I enjoy seeing it again. I forgot about that Heckel pair...any action yet???
I feel like one of the lucky ones to have gotten to know Jeff over the last year and have had a few great phone conversations with him. Jeff really knows his discus and is a great source of information. Al and Ryan are also very lucky to have you as one of their Moderators on their Cichlid Forum!

Again Congratulations!

Your friend,
Tad ;)

Chad
06-08-2003, 01:36 AM
WOW what a great job you guys do on these!!

Jeff as usual you have all the great answers, It was a great read and a honor being mentioned in your replies!!

Chad ;D ;D

Discus_KC
06-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Jeff,

Great spotlight and great fish. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you !!!!

John, thanks again !!! Every month, you give us a spotlight fix !!!!!!!

Jack