PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate build up

giroux68
05-28-2003, 10:13 AM
Is the only way to keep nitrates low by changing water?

Do plants or bactreria use it for anything?

My levels have been about 20ppm with 25% - 40% daily water changes.

Is that level high enough to cause problems?

brewmaster15
05-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Aside from water changes... the only things that consume nitrates are plants, and some anaerobic bacteria. Do you have any plants in your tank? hanging plants like pothos and Philodendrons are great for soaking up nitrates. Just cut them, and root them in the tank.

-al

giroux68
05-28-2003, 10:22 AM
the tank is planted. I tried the pothos ivy. It had some whitish stuff comming out of the cut end.

brewmaster15
05-28-2003, 10:25 AM
If planted... try some plants that thrive on the nitrates... water sprite comes to mind as well as the valls.

If the pothos didn't work.. try the philodendrons. You could also buy the potted pothos, and rinse the dirt off the roots. place these in the water.

-al

Carol_Roberts
05-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Does your tap water have nitrates? If not, I would do more water changes or reduce the amount of of fish in the tank. 20 ppm is too high.

95jeepxj
05-29-2003, 12:31 AM
I have been doing some research on a freshwater plenum system. Similar to the systems used by reef keepers for years to reduce nitrates.

jake

Bruce
05-29-2003, 02:45 AM
What size tank do you have and what is your current bio-load?

giroux68
05-29-2003, 10:19 AM
I have a 55g with 7 discus - 1.5 in to 3 inches, one corry catfish. Magnum 350 with 2 bio wheels.

Carol_Roberts
05-29-2003, 01:26 PM
That shouldn't be overstocked even if you do have lots of gravel and plants. Is there nitrates in your tap water?

Luca
06-01-2003, 12:14 AM
Heya, just a question about nitrate,

I've only found "nitrite" tests in the LFS's here, i assume there's a way to convert easily from nitrite to nitrate??

Just want to make sure my nitrate is under control before introducing discus :)

thanks,
Luca.

Carol_Roberts
06-01-2003, 01:16 AM
NitrAte is the end product of the nitrification cycle.

Fish excrete ammonia which "good" bacteria convert to nitrIte. Other "good" bacteria convert the nitrIte into nitrAte.

When a new filter is put on a newly set-up tank the water should measure zero for all three. After fish are added the ammonia levels start to rise, but nitrIte and nitrAte are sill zero.

The "good bacteria" will start to colonize the filter media and begin converting ammonia to nitrIte. Soon ammonia levels will drop to zero and you will read high nitrIte levels.

After another period of time the nitrIte converting bateria will colonize the filter media. When the nitrIte levels begin to fall the end product will be nitrAte.

A fully mature filter sized correctly for the fish load should be able to keep ammonia and nitrIte levels at zero in the tank. NitrAte levels will steadily rise until a water change is performed. Plants in the tank will remove small amounts of nitrAte. A 50% water change will cut tank nitrate levels in half.

. . . . . unless you have nitrAtes in your tap water

95jeepxj
06-01-2003, 02:27 AM
May want to try some hygro. polysperma. Fast growing plant that absorbs nutrients.

jake

giroux68
06-03-2003, 11:46 AM
carrol - I thought that the higher levels might be comming for the tap, but they are not. I have added the amount of the water changes. That has helped.

barron
06-04-2003, 07:45 AM
I use, Purigen, in my community tank. For the Discus tank water changes do the trick. Water from tap nitrates zero.

It is a synthetic polymer that removes proteins, nitrite and nitrate, ammonia and a broad spectrum of organics.

Seachem puts it out.

It is rechargeable, 250 ml treats 250 gal of warwar.
$9.29
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4190

I like it. Nit were 5 after water change and in 2 weeks were back to 15-20 parts now less then 10 after 3 weeks. I change 50% every 3 weeks.

hth

giroux68
06-04-2003, 09:45 AM
where do you put the stuff? In a canister filter? How do you recharge it? Sounds interesting - are there any downsides?

Carol_Roberts
06-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi Barron:
Did I read your post correctly? I change 50% every 3 weeks You do a single 50% water change in your discus tank once every three weeks?

barron
06-04-2003, 09:09 PM
No Carol every day two times 30% each in Discus tank.

The tropical once every 3 weeks, 50% change they seem fine as long as nitrate and protein in down, ph holds I buffer with baking soda each water change. Cheap but still
safe.

By the way I am and Ex Bondsman, I read your Bio.
What a bunch of nuts, I loved to chase, when they F.T.A.
your bench. Heart put me out of work for now. Blockage
no attack for the grace of God. :)

Barron

barron
06-04-2003, 09:24 PM
You use a fine mesh bag and place it on top of your last section of media. That is the top as long as flow is from the bottom up and most cans are.

To recharge lay out media in a small tray, cover with 1 to 1 parts bleach and water, tap is fine. Let sit for 24 hrs. Then
rinse well and place back in a clean tray and and cover with 2 table spoons of prime or any dechlorinator mixed with water for 8 hours. Your ready to go after this.

When media needs recharging it turns dark brown with takes me 5 to 6 months for that to happen.

No downsides that I can tell only less water changes. ;D

You can place bag also in any flow stream. ie. power head, power filter.

You may need to increase your kh to stablize your ph. I do we have soft water, in the discus state of Fl. I just add baking soda.

Continue with daily water changes this should be mostly used to reduce tap water nitrates. I belive the E.P.A. allows up to 10 p.p.m. discharge from water service . This is alot.

;Dhth barron