PDA

View Full Version : SALMON

jim_shedden
05-30-2003, 06:42 AM
In one of our current posts some folks are adding salmon to their beefheart mix. Does any one do this? I have never tried it but I would have to beleive that it would help their color.
If you are adding it............how much are you adding?

Jim

limige
05-31-2003, 01:21 PM
jim, i was warned to stay away from freshwater fish, they can add new deseases, ect to your fish that is not common and could be a real disaster.

that is why people use saltwater fish, cod, shrimp, ect.

discus_nw
05-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Other than landlocked salmon, salmon are saltwater fish. I have used salmon a number of times. I especially think it is good for fry because of the fat content (it's the good fat, not mammillian fat) I have used it as high as 50% of the mix.

I would not used landlocked salmon for discus chow.

jim_shedden
05-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks guys

jim

Smokey
06-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Hi Jim; I have used salmon before. Trouble is, it was $22.00 a pound. OUCH.

Even tried other salt water fish.

However, I never continued to use it in the long term.
[ not very accessable out here in the west ... right of a fishing boat.]. AND... our land-locked fresh water fish all have high levels of " MERCURY"!!!
When I am expecting fry, I will mix very young brine shrimp in with a beefheart diet. Just for the added touch.

The batch of beefheart with salmon -- the discus turned up their noses. Ended up throwing it out.

Smokey

I also use garlic, lots of garlic.

BlueTurquoise
06-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Jim,

What's so bad about using ye olde prawns? I buy the cheapest freshest green or tiger prawns from supermarket/seafood outlet. I only need about 300 grams (just over 1/2 kilo) per heart, and at approx $17 per kilo it is not bad. Even king prawns are about $24/kilo so at 1/4 kilo it's not a bad price. Certainly Salmon is more expensive. Salt water prawns, smell great ( :P ) and are great (at least when I eat them hehe)

Just wondering why you want to include salmon?

jim_shedden
06-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Hi Chong................I am just curious about salmon because of all the good things that I hear about Omega Oils. I also notice that some of the flake foods contain salmon. The other reason is that being in the fishing business I have direct access to salmon whereas shrimo I have to buy at the store........... ;D

Jason
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Hi Jim

a few months back my cousin won a salmon fishing trip to the west coast, he brought back tons already cleaned and filleted, I put it in my last food batch, they like it and the hufa's are good like Mat said!

that's one of the buzz words now in the aquaculture industries hufa enriched feed!

jim_shedden
06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Thanks Jason.

BlueTurquoise
06-10-2003, 10:08 PM
I see! in that case then you had best look into salmon! lol for m either way, they must be purchased!

Even my wife thinks the discus eat better than us sometimes! ::) ;D