PDA

View Full Version : Do you normally seperate your fish by size?

tedd47
05-30-2003, 10:48 AM
Ok, my 7 3-5 inch fish are now settled in there 55, I went ahead and set it up and will wait to use the 40 breeder for pairs. I just brought the sponge filter that was in the breeders tank home and am using it in the 55 as well as a overflow filter with a sponge prefilter.
On to my question, 2 of the fish are in the 3 inch range, 2 in the 3.5 inch range one in the 3.75 inch range and 3 in the 4-5 inch range, the largest fish is a awsome green diamond and is the same age as the rest of the fish. He is also a hog and agressive and along with the two 4 inchers passed there time by bullying the other 4 into the top corners of the tank. I've got 15 years of cichlid exp. and a cichlid is a cichlid so I divided the tank with egg crate and placed the 3 biggest on one side and the other 4 on the other. I was just wondering if anybody else had any exp. with this, they were really funny to watch since the largest would rush the 2nd largest and it would just roll down hill until the smallest one got the worst of the aggression.
This seems to have stopped the majority of the aggression, the largest 3 seem to hold there own against each other, the very smallest one is still holding in the corner but maybe he'll come out of it. I'll keep everybody updated. Thanks, Ted

Carol_Roberts
05-30-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm betting these discus weren't all in the same tank at the breeder's house. If these discus are new to each other you could just be seeing the regular jousting over pecking order. Once they have settled in and are all eating I'd remove the egg crate and see if they don't settle down in a week or two.

That said, I do generally try to keep fish of about the same size together.