PDA

View Full Version : Is that ok?

david34
06-03-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

I would like to know, is that ok to put 2 Duscus in the 10 gallon tank?

Thnx.... :)

ronrca
06-03-2003, 03:43 PM
If the discus are 2", no problem!
3" - ok
4" - ok
5" - :-\
6" - :-\
7" - >:(

Depends on the intend, breeding, quaratine, growout, etc. Discus in general do like company. You may find 1 picking on the other therefore creating a negative environment.

What size are they?

david34
06-03-2003, 03:51 PM
If the discus are 2", no problem!
3" - ok
4" - ok
5" - :-\
6" - :-\
7" - >:(

Depends on the intend, breeding, quaratine, growout, etc. Discus in general do like company. You may find 1 picking on the other therefore creating a negative environment.

What size are they?
------------------------------

Thank you very much, Ronrca. I am actually thinking of getting something like 2" - 3".

Thanks.

ronrca
06-03-2003, 04:03 PM
I thought that you had them already! I would recommend getting at least 6 discus because of the pecking order that is established. With only 2 discus, you are running the risk of one discus bullying the other therefore less food/more stress. What may end up happening is runted discus. Not a very happy situation. I would use 2 discus in a 10G if they are paired and even then I would prefer a 20G.

If possible, get a larger tank, min 30G! It is 'ok' to put 2 discus in a 10G but not recommended or preferred. ;)

Carol_Roberts
06-03-2003, 04:05 PM
A ten gallon tank is too small to keep discus for more than a couple of weeks.

Even if you are just trying to quarantine two 2 inch discus you will more likely than not have problems. One discus will harass the other unmercifully. It is hard to maintain stable water conditions in a 10 gallon tank.

You can house an adult pair in a 29 gallon. You can grow out a group of 5 or 6 juveniles for a couple of months in a 29 gallon then move them to a 55 gallon to finish.

david34
06-03-2003, 04:07 PM
I wanted to get more, but I don't think I handle them correctly. I used to have about 9 of them in the
55 gallon tank and I lost them all. Now I just want to slow start again. I very scare to loose them.

Thanks. :)

I thought that you had them already! I would recommend getting at least 6 discus because of the pecking order that is established. With only 2 discus, you are running the risk of one discus bullying the other therefore less food/more stress. What may end up happening is runted discus. Not a very happy situation. I would use 2 discus in a 10G if they are paired and even then I would prefer a 20G.

If possible, get a larger tank, min 30G!

ronrca
06-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Well, starting slow doesnt mean getting only 2 discus. As Carol mentions, you may have problems, maybe even more problems with just 2.

Tell us about the 9 you had. Maybe we can help?

Carol_Roberts
06-03-2003, 04:16 PM
Here is how I am successful growing out discus
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911

david34
06-03-2003, 04:19 PM
I was having them for about 9 months. I thought I did pretty well keeping them, but somehow one day they
just stop eating. Even I try to change water they are the same way. So than I also try to give
them different food. They don't eat them either. After a couple days later they all die on me. I was very
sad. That's why I am very scare to getting more than two of them. They where fine for 9 months.

Well I guess that was the sad story a bout my discus. Please tell me how I should handle them.

Thanks. :'(

Well, starting slow doesnt mean getting only 2 discus. As Carol mentions, you may have problems, maybe even more problems with just 2.

Tell us about the 9 you had. Maybe we can help?

ronrca
06-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Im really sorry to hear that. I think that you have come to the right place because most of us know how you feel as we have also lost discus. I know that there are members that can tell you experiences that break your heart like proven world class breeding pairs jumping out of tanks, no water in the tanks, etc! We are here to help, to share our experiences.

Can you tell us more about your routine like your water changes. How do you do the water changes? Do you use tap water? Do you age your water for 24 hours? How often did you change water?

Tell us about your water parameters like ph, kh and gh! Did you cycle your tank?

Please dont be frightened away by all these questions. The more you can tell us, the better we can help you be successful with discus. Remember, we are here to help! ;)

david34
06-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Thanks again, Ronrca. I usually have my water change every two weeks and I make
the change about 25%. Sometime I make the change about 50%. I keep my PH 6.7 to
7.0. I am not sure what is kh and gh. Thanks.

ronrca
06-03-2003, 05:46 PM
David,
Let me tell you about my discus that I have and what I do!

I have 3"-4" 7 Red Turquoise discus that I received when they were 1.5". I put them into a 30G. When discus are young, they require very clean water and lots of food to really grow nicely. So, I would actually do water changes at least everyday to ensure very clean water. The discus love it and they grew now to 4" and are still growing. I feed them 4x a day and actually do 2 50% water changes every day, morning and evening.

Sounds like a lot of work but it really isnt. The water changes take me under 10mins to do. I have an automatic feeder that feeds for me when Im not home. About the water changes, I have a container that I fill with tap water which I heat and aerate to 'age' my water. This will make sure that the water in the containers will match the water in my tanks. If I were to use my tap water straight from the tap, the ph would be different and stress the discus. When discus become stressed or dis-stress, they are more likely to become dis-eased or sick!

Now, about the tank itself. Can you tell us about how you introduced your discus to your tank? Did you set it up and shortly afterwards put discus in? Do you perhaps have other fish in the tank or decorations? ;)

April
06-03-2003, 05:55 PM
David. even if you did daily wc in a ten gallon tank with two discus and the filter is not cycled..you will in about 7 days to 10 days have an ammonia spike and possibly lose them . youd have to do whole water changes daily . or 1/2 twice a day. a 10 gallon tank things just dont stay even . with alot of ammonia being produced the ph will not stay even etc etc. and a tiny amount of food will go bad very quickly.
i would suggest as ronrca said.minimum 33 gallon. their not that costly and if you look in the paper..or buy sell type paper you could find one for a reasonable price.

jeep
06-03-2003, 06:08 PM
David,

If you still have your 55g tank, I would use it and get 6 discus. 9 adults in a 55 is really pushing it.

I would only use a 10g tank as a hospital tank, if need be...

david34
06-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Thank you and thank you very much, Ronrca, April and Jeep.
I really appreciate you guys help. I will go a head and give
it a try again. Jeep, I yes I still have that tank. I will use
that .

Thank you very much.... :)

ronrca
06-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Hooray! :D We have a discus enthusiast!
Let me tell you, from the time I started with discus until now, I have lost enough discus that gets me frustrated. I just look at pictures in the picture gallery and breeders sites that encourage me to continue.

One quick question though. Did you cycle your 55G before adding discus? Very important before getting more discus. If you do not cycle, you will have a hard time with more discus.
Plz read this link:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=7107

Plus:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=7983

If you have any questions...anything you dont understand, do not hesitate to ask. ;)

david34
06-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks..... :)

FrankLuvsDiscus
06-03-2003, 07:21 PM
;D Im glad your trying Discus again, there so worth it in so many ways. :)

1st - I would do alot more w/c than 1 every 2 weeks. I do a 30% w/c everyother day it keeps the water clean and fresh.

2nd- I use a water "aging" system to heat and soften and aerate the water before i add it to my tank. :) I just have a 32g rubbermaid trash can , a heater hung over the edge in it a pond pump to create current, and a stocking hung over stuffed with peat moss. It works great!
:'( Discus need alot of attention and the best care on a daily basis and that'll keep them happy , Im thinking you may have lost all 9 of your earlier discus from a parasite or a common disease they all caught at the same time.........or it could've been Ph shock?

Anyhow keep trying there worth it!
Franko

BlueTurquoise
06-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Hi there,

I just have to add, smell is a very good method that I use to find out if water change is required or not! Sounds dumb and probably is! but seriously when it's time for a water change, if my water smells fish (litterally) then it is definately time for a large change.

Ever noticed that? Maybe I have a sensative nose lol ;D

However when I change my water often (every 2 days or every day as it is for my tank of babies) I notice that the water smells clean and free of polutants! it smells like... well... water! lol ;D

Sticking to a regular water change routine and doing it as often as possible will definately help your discus no doubt about that, even I like to vacuum my own house every week so I guess my discus deserve similar treatment, or better :)

Chong

david34
06-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks, Chong. It's the good idea! :)

Hi there,

I just have to add, smell is a very good method that I use to find out if water change is required or not! Sounds dumb and probably is! but seriously when it's time for a water change, if my water smells fish (litterally) then it is definately time for a large change.

Ever noticed that? Maybe I have a sensative nose lol ;D

However when I change my water often (every 2 days or every day as it is for my tank of babies) I notice that the water smells clean and free of polutants! it smells like... well... water! lol ;D

Sticking to a regular water change routine and doing it as often as possible will definately help your discus no doubt about that, even I like to vacuum my own house every week so I guess my discus deserve similar treatment, or better :)

Chong

david34
06-03-2003, 10:37 PM
Thanks, Frank. I will give it a try again. The first when that happen, I thought I nevers gonna
get the discus again. But, the other day I want to one of the shop and when I see the discus
I just fall in love with them. I just can't help it anymore. One I get them I will keep you guys post it.

I really do appreciate everyone..... :)

;D Im glad your trying Discus again, there so worth it in so many ways. :)

1st - I would do alot more w/c than 1 every 2 weeks. I do a 30% w/c everyother day it keeps the water clean and fresh.

2nd- I use a water "aging" system to heat and soften and aerate the water before i add it to my tank. :) I just have a 32g rubbermaid trash can , a heater hung over the edge in it a pond pump to create current, and a stocking hung over stuffed with peat moss. It works great!
:'( Discus need alot of attention and the best care on a daily basis and that'll keep them happy , Im thinking you may have lost all 9 of your earlier discus from a parasite or a common disease they all caught at the same time.........or it could've been Ph shock?

Anyhow keep trying there worth it!
Franko