PDA

View Full Version : Handling fish

barron
06-04-2003, 04:40 AM
What is the best way to move Discus from one tank to another? ???

Fisheyes
06-04-2003, 07:44 AM
If possable use the palm of your hand

Use a clear bowl

Lastly I would use a white net but only as a last resort.(fear of damage to fish

Fisheyes :crazy:

barron
06-04-2003, 08:21 AM
I fear, if I try to get close to anyone the rest will spoke, they all pack together, do they settle down, they are new. If I make any noise or let the lid tap they dart fast. I heard of Discus darting into tank walls and killing themself. I want to avoid this I was thinking maybe a drug would be needed.

ronrca
06-04-2003, 10:10 AM
I use nets actually. Big nets! So far I have had no troubles. I dont really know how you guys can catch them with your hands. I come close to touching them but actually grabbing them? :P

Also, being calm and relaxed helps. Moving the net slowly, not quick movements especially when the discus are moving around or spooked. It takes practise and patience.

FrankLuvsDiscus
06-04-2003, 02:45 PM
;D I didn't think you could catch a discus with your bare hands and palm it without it flipping around to much. Plus i think palming it could cause more damage to its scales or fins, gills.... The only cichlid i've been able to slowly grasp and actually transfer without any trouble is an Oscar, there so mellow when they know you and trust you.

:P I've also read that the best way to grab a "large fish" without stressing it is this: :book:

Lower the water level slowly by the use of a siphon or pump and hose..... once the level of water is just above the height of the top of the discus or fish,...... take a wet towel and lay it underneath the discus or on the bottom of the tank and wait ti'l the discus swims over it.... once this happens you can slowly grab each corner of the towel and pull up. Water will slowly drain through the towel without the discus really noticing soon he'll be on his side then you can fold the towel over him or her..... and this will make it so they don't stress or flip around plus once covered the darkness naturally makes them feel like sleeping so they don't squirm...then you just transfer them -towel and all- into the new tank unfold the towel and your good to go.

;D :angel: Something I read ,,, never tried it though but sounds good to me.

Other than that lengthy explanation .......... I just use a net and slowly catch them.

Franko

ronrca
06-04-2003, 03:18 PM
The towel method! LOL! Sounds like it could take a long time.

I would what breeders do! They need to catch hundreds of discus a day sometimes!

Cary? Mike? Jeff? Chad? and many others that breed?

brewmaster15
06-04-2003, 03:24 PM
big net :)

Carol_Roberts
06-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Big net.

Luca
06-04-2003, 11:58 PM
So it is not necessary to accustom the discus to the new tank's water first??? I guess you keep it so clean it doesn't make much difference, long as it's aged/heated/dechlorinated??

Carol_Roberts
06-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Hi LUca:
Does the pH and temperature vary much from tank to tank at your house?

If it is a new tank set it up and run it for at least 8 hours to make sure no leaks and water is same pH and temp.

barron
06-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Thanks all, net it is. However what is a white net?

Carol_Roberts
06-05-2003, 01:41 AM
Finer mesh,softer, better quality, more expensive than the green ones

barron
06-05-2003, 02:36 AM
Thank you net added to list.

April
06-05-2003, 02:45 AM
big net and move it slowly and just carefully select the fish and i get the fish against the front wall then wait till it backs into the net a bit then lift up. not a problem.
its almost as if they know which one of them is the one.

iceskater
06-05-2003, 09:16 AM
Wish me luck I am going to net 2 of them tonight. White net. Kind of scared do not want to spook them all. First time...

Karen

ronrca
06-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Dont worry! I can still remember netting fish the first time! I was pretty nervous. Remember, relax! If you are relaxed, your fish will be more relaxed. Lower the water level helps because they dont have as much room to swim. Like April says, slow movements, no rushing! I also 'trap' them and let them swim into the net.

Relax! If you dont get the fish the first time, try again! ;)

Fisheyes
06-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Here is a hand catch ----If I did not have to hold camera with my right hand and shoot picture I would have lifted this guy out of tank .
Flip around yes but once I remove him from the water I gently clasp my other hand over him for protection . If I had to treat this fish for anything such as a wound I would then lay him on a wet towel

Its call trust

Fisheyes :thumbsup:

FrankLuvsDiscus
06-05-2003, 12:48 PM
:D That's extrememly cool!!

I only mentioned the towel method FYI and for a little laugh, it would be lengthy to do it that way.

Very cool 8) the pic with you catching a discus with your hand wow!

My discus are very relaxed and they know me , but they don't trust me enough yet to allow my hand to get that close to them. Oh well time and patience , they don't scatter when i place my hand in to clean the glass but they watch closely and if my hand get too close to them they jam!

Franko

P.S I think i'll start pricing white nets.

Have a good one all

Fisheyes
06-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Know that I have made my point LOL

I must admitt there not all that gentle but most are.
I try to touch all my fish daily .Slowly they come around ,

Fisheyes ;D

Wahter
06-05-2003, 01:34 PM
I like to turn off the lights, let them fall asleep, then use a large bowl (keep a hand over the top in case they try to jump back) or even a plastic bag to scoop them up. I've used my hands before and that worked too.

ronrca
06-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Tell us the secret then Fisheyes! How do you 'touch' them everyday? How do you first start?

Fisheyes
06-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Well Ronca first I should tell you I am retired and I spend the best part of my day with my discus .
I think if you want to get close to your fish they must trust you .
So what is trust to a fish -being quite around them as not to spook them I never walk up to my tanks with out them knowing I am coming.
I feed them by hand most times or at least when thier around my worm feeder I stick my fingers in the water and soon they know they can trust me..
I think when they come up to the front to greet you it should not always be for food .However I do feed my discus 5 or 6 times daily and water change 50 %daily.
Go slow and let them come to you .

I also have a few rules for visitors (grandchildren )they know not to run around where the fish are not only so not to spook the fish But I would hate to see one of them stumble into a tank and have it break.
I also own a Macaw that according to the vet is the most friendly Macaw she has visit her.( macaws are not usually buddy buddy with people.
The best part of all of this is when you know you have gained the trust.Its kinda like having your dog give you a big slurrpy kiss when you come home

Fisheyes :rolleyes:

ronrca
06-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Well, I must be closer than I realize. When scrubbing my tanks, I touch my discus regularly. Not intentionally though, its because they are in the way so I 'kind of move them along'. I usually feed by hand when Im home. I dont drop the food into the tank but place it into the tank with my hands. I have not tried to actually hold a discus though in my hand. I guess I should try!

Thanks!

Fisheyes
06-05-2003, 03:54 PM
Sure why not
I would only say thet at first if you get him between your hand and the glass if he wants to go let him .Do not try to hold him against his will.
He will learn to trust you.

I learned along time ago with a blu frnt amazon parrott I own .
I was his friend untill one day he bite me on the lip whilst I was saying give me a kiss.Needless to say he kissed me alright .Dam bird put a hole right through my lip .Anyway I put him in his cage and made the mistake of banging the cage and calling him a dumb &^%$#$#$&R bird.
Bottom line is he never forgot me banging his cage and hated my gutts for evermore. Finally had to give him away .
Still visit him once in a while but don't go near him nomore.

I should add this happened at midnight one night after a party .I guess he did not want to make kissy poo that late .

Geeeeeezzzzzz that sounds familar.LOL
:spank: :spank:

fISHEYES :crazy: :gossip:

Fisheyes
06-05-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi Wahter

How do you know there asleep fish don't have eyelids.

DO THey

Maybe they do

I have never caught mine sleeping

LOLOLOLOLLol
Pulling your leg Wahter

Fisheyes :crazy: :funny: