PDA

View Full Version : Can you smell when its time to change your water

angel12
06-04-2003, 09:02 AM
this is just a quick question after changing my water the tanks smells well like water after a day or so it starts to smell of not rotting plants as it is not sulphur or anerobic problems just smells like em sweaty plants if u know what I mean temp is 30 deg got a bit hot me thinks in the room I have the tank .. but I think its time to change the water
I was wondering if anyone here can tell if its time to change the water by the different smells that come from the Tank ....
I know strange question but im just intrested as I posted a bit ago about the smell that is generated by anerobic bacteria activity

ronrca
06-04-2003, 10:30 AM
I know what you mean and its a very good question, one to which I dont really have a good answer!

Sometimes my water smells like 'algae' especially when Im battling blue/green. Blue/green smells horrible especially when you get it on your hands. When I remove leaves/equipment with blue/green, sometimes the whole house smells. Yuch!

Sometimes I get an 'earthy' smell. Im guessing something to do with bacteria as aerobic bacteria has an earthy smell to it.

Other than that, I dont think I smell anything else.

angel12
06-04-2003, 12:31 PM
Good point you made there rornca I also notice a earthy smell coming from my tanks if I am correct in assuming this is anerobic activity then this is a good thing yes ?

besides the obvious testing reagents and other goodies that you can get to analyze everything about your water its good to know your Good Old Nose can sniff some of the nasties out ...
;D

ChloroPhil
06-05-2003, 04:52 PM
Great question Angel, and it does have an answer. A healthy planted aquarium will have an earthy smell, like freshly turned soil. A healthy fish-only aquarium will have a slightly fishy scent. Anything else: sulphur, "steamy jungle", "decomposing trash heap" would indicate something not too pleasant going on in the aquarium. A WC would likely be in order.

wildthing
06-05-2003, 05:01 PM
smells are associated with bacteria. If your tank smells of anything at all then IMO it indicates a high bioload...CHANGE WATER

jmho

David

angel12
06-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Well not that I Go around smelling tanks all day but ive changed a few as I suppose have many of you on here and there are differences in the oudour that comes from them and ive often wondered what it was ...

in order to have an completley odourless tank presumably you would need to be constantly changing the water .. Im happy with the smell that comes from my tank Im not saying that I dont need the testing kits but I can also smell if something is not right if you know what I mean ....

The wonders of science will never cease

nicholas76
08-04-2003, 03:58 AM
If your tank stinks for the worst can i simply suggest adding a carbon filter to your cannister. This I find will often removes any bad smell and keep your water clean.

generally some smelss are worse than others. back when i had a planted tank it had a distinct planty smell which i found ok. I guess if its a shocking odour then id be stepping up with the water changes and the ammonia checks.

personaly id go for the carbon. ;D

nick