PDA

View Full Version : The social behaviour of discus. What we all should know.

jamesmcsyd
06-05-2003, 12:15 AM
I thought i'd start this topic, as it would be very useful for newcomers. I remember when i first got discus, and only if I new what i know now, i'd have saved lots of time, money and heartache!

Here are some tips that i've found useful. Please add comments and some more useful tips.

*Discus do best in groups of preferably 5 or more, this tends to 'even out' any aggression. Whereas, with 3 or 2 discus, often 1 will get isolated and picked on. The exception being a mated pair.

* discus tend to be more active, happier, and feed better in warmer water. This obviously relates to conditions of thier natural environment, and an increase in metabolism.

* discus seem to be more social when they are added together at once. I don't know why this is, but I assume it has to do with territorial boundaries. A useful tool i've found is that if you want to add a new discus to an existing show tank, moving around some decor/plants tends to 'break up' the territories, confuses them, and allow new territories to be established. This sometimes and sometimes doesn't work. I don't know why this is.

Here are some questions that would be good to get an answer.

Do discus 'remember' old tankmates or old tank 'setups' when they are reunited again or returned to an old tank, after a legnthy period of time?

Is there a 'rule of thumb' as to the average discus family in the wild, or are there large variances?

James