PDA

View Full Version : Wanted discus and input

stilllearnin
06-05-2003, 02:09 AM
I'm looking to add a few more discus and figured I'd get some input from a more experianced crowd before I invest any more $.

The few questions I have are:

1 - who would you reccomend to purchase some white butterfly's from? (4-6" if possiable)
2- same question for something red and maybe gold
(just nothing blue,I want some variety)

3 - just starting to try to breed discus,is it worth the extra $ to buy something classified as AAA over say A ? For now (until I get more familiar with them) I was thinking of just buying afforadable healthy discus - or is this a bad way to start?

4 - is it easier starting out to buy a group of 5 or 6 or just to buy another pair?

It'll be a little while before I add anything new,but figured I'd get as much input as possiable before I do.
Thanks for any input you can offer

Carol_Roberts
06-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Do you want to breed? Are you in a hurry? Buy an adult pair. Do you have a market for baby discus? Do you have the extra tanks and time and knowledge to care for them?

If you are not very experienced yet I would buy a group of 6+ juveniles of the same age and size to grow out. Buy from a reputabale breeder - maybe someone who lives near you where you can pick out the discus.

That AAA stuff is usually used by wholesale/importers on Aquabid. Always get the healthiest best quality discus you can afford. They take a long time to grow out. Why buy a bunch where you will be unhappy with the quality a year from now?

White Butterflys - Cary Strong at Great Lakes Discus has some. I don't know if Frank at Edgewater has his producing yet or not. . . Check out the banners at the top and bottom of the page . . . well, not Cary's his isn't fixed yet ;)

ronrca
06-05-2003, 05:20 PM
I also recommend babies instead of the adults. Better experience in caring for discus and getting use to wc routines. I love growing out babies. ;)

stilllearnin
06-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the input.

Yes I want to (at least try) to breed them.
Not in a hurry,thats why I'm asking questions so I can finish planning some things.

I have plenty of extra tank space (about 600 gallons empty and more soon), and time .I have general fish knowledge ;) working on discus knowledge and I have this forum,thats been frying my brain with info since feb. :)

Do you have a market for baby discus?Definately - I've actually had some people begging me to supply them with babies for a long time - The only discus usually avaliable around me are bad looking wilds or poor quality cobalts which most have messed up eyes that look like they should have been culls - Part of my hesitation on working with discus until reciently.

Now that I'm looking to get a few more though, I want the colors I want, not the ones that should sell,so I figure it'll take me a little while to find what I want.

I was trying to look at the great lakes site,since a friend of mine told me to check there a while ago but the sites been down for a while :(

RAWesolowski
06-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Cary from Great Lakes Discus was on vacation. He recently mentioned that the site will be back up next week. New look?

Dennis_Hardenburge
06-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Most every one recomends buying a bunch of small ones and raiseing them out, nothing wrong with this.
But myself I would rather spend a little more and get fish in the three to four inch size, quality can be judged at this size, but much harder at two inches unless you are very exsperienced.
Besides I am a little impatient and I can get a quicker return on my investment buying larger fish.
Just my opinion
Dennis