PDA

View Full Version : Going to strip me Tank down help needed

angel12
06-06-2003, 02:36 PM
ok im going to strip me tank down due to the substrate I have causing me problems .. thing is the new substrate will be inert and im going to be making the new water Kh of 3 Gh of 5 using Ro water and Ro right mix not tap water High PO4 in it .

thing is I will have fish in a bucket of KH 9 GH 11 my current water and the new readings in the tank will be above how do I prevent shocking the living daylights out of the fish when I transfer them out of one set of water perams into another its not like its a close match

advice needed please

ronrca
06-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Same method as receiving new fish!

Supplies need:
- A container: 5G pail or similar! Size does not really matter except if you get lots of discus in one order you may need more or larger containers
- Airline hose
- Airline valve

Connect the airline hose to the valve. Place one end of the airline hose in the tank that the discus are going to be calling home (other end will be connected to the valve). The other hose place into the container (Basicly, its a siphon setup). By siphoning the tank water into the container, you will slowly acclimate the discus to your tank parameters. The valves will enable you to adjust the flow rate. In the beginning, set the flow rate to only a drip until you roughly doubled the volume in the container. Then you can slowly increase the flow rate. Depending on the difference of water parameters, it will determine the lenght of acclimation. I would recommend nothing under 2 hours just to be cautious. I never use the plunk method even if water parameters are close. You may also want to add a heater once the container is half full. Once the container is full or you have added 5-10x the volume of water, net and place in your tank. If the container is full and you still need to add more water, just remove the water from the container via siphon or little container.