PDA

View Full Version : Beefheart tip...

brewmaster15
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Hi all,
Just want to share this with you,...

I was at my butchers last week to buy beefheart. The place I get it from is a super market, with a bunch of butchers there. They all know me and what I use the beefheart for. when I stopped in this time, one of the guys says to me... "Hey, Haven't seen you in awhile... its a good thing you didn't come in last week... we had a batch of hearts that was definetly no good. Don't know if it came in that way or not but, just glad you didn't buy it for your fish!"

well that got me thinking... maybe things with beef heart are alittle more lax. Im always thought it was kind of odd that whenever I buy it , the expiration date is only a day or 2 away.

My advice... tell your butchers how important this stuff is to you and why.. also check how long they have had it? and make a mental note to check the expiration date they label on it. It may have a tendency to sit a little longer since they don't move alot of it.

I now call and ask when its coming in , and get it fresh.

Just thought I'd share this with you.

hth,
al

brewmaster15
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
ps... mines up to almost $1.30 lb.. whats it costing you all?

-al

tom.s
06-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Brew,
I just ran across this posting. And I just came back from the buther. Beef heart cost me $1.00per lb. I got 15lb. for $15.00
Tom

DiscusJeff
06-09-2003, 11:30 AM
I think the problem is that there is so little demand that the butcher has to special order it from the slaughter house and it takes a while for the butcher to get it. By then so many days have gone by that the expiration date is much shorter.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they don't enforce the same type of rules as they do other cuts of meat.

daninthesand
06-09-2003, 11:31 AM
If i recall correctly the beefheart I bought a couple of months ago was under a dollar a pound. Take away 50% veins, valves and other crap, i guess its about 2 bucks a pound for "pure" beef heart.

Daniel

tedd47
06-09-2003, 11:41 AM
I've been getting mine from a farmer who butchers his own cattle, pretty much all natural. I get them 2 or 3 at a time and quarter them and freeze them until I can use the whole thing. You might try to contact a slaughter house or cattle farm for leads on getting them cheaper. The guy I get them from gives them to me for free. Ted

Francisco_Borrero
06-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Getting it direct from the cattle farms (like Ted) should result in a fresher product.
I have been lucky so far, since I buy it at a portuguese meat market in Rhode Island. I guess the hearts are so desirable in some portuguese dishes, that they are never long at the store and always run out of them on the same day they come. Thus, whenever I was close to needing some, I called them and asked for the next day they woulod come in, and reserved some. Always fresh.

Good point with the supermarkets though. Cheers, Francisco.

ronrca
06-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Free, from my parents steers when they butcher in the fall! ;)

BlueTurquoise
06-09-2003, 10:20 PM
Gee I get it at AU$3.50 per heart, whole. Mine stock them only one way: competely frozen in a tied up bag. No expiration dates and the only thing they say to me is "it is fresh"...

I am not to sure anymore... ??? Should I be worrie Al???

DISCUSDADDYSLC
06-09-2003, 11:12 PM
PASTURE COWS ONLY, HAD TO GET SOME FROM THE GROCERY STORE TO TIDE THEM OVER AND IT GREW THE FINS OUT ON MY DISCUS I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN TO OTHERS. I think it is steriods in the cows. I call it the sweat shop meat. It's about .80 a pnd.

lwarctic
06-10-2003, 12:20 AM
I use buffalo heart. I can get as much as I want for .50 a pound. If someone doesn't buy it they donate it to the local zoo. The last batch I made should last me 6 months or so.

Les :-* :-* :-*

Rick_May
06-10-2003, 09:32 AM
I get mine fresh, like still warm, It's all a matter of timing. For me I go to the slaughter house on Thursday and Friday and ask for their freshest heart. The first time the gal at the counter thought she was being funny. Told me to wait a minute while the inspector looked it over and brought it out still steaming. I guess her joke didn't go over too well because I was a happy as could be.

Cost .75/lb

lkleung007
06-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Great info Al!!

I have to order my beefheart from a local butcher shop. It can take up to 3 weeks to get it. I really don't know how fresh it is and there is really no expiration date on it. I try to get it as soon as possible once it arrives at my butcher's shop.

Regards, Lester