PDA

View Full Version : Filtration

KARINA
06-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Hey!!

I am about to update the show tank from 29 g to 90 or 125 g..... however, i am not sure what filtration i should use, should I go for canister type like eihm or the aqua clear 500 filter x 2 by Hagen i am planning on having some potted plants in the show tank as well. .. what's better for discus and plants the gravel or the sand?

.......any comments based on expirience will be gladly appreciated!!!!! should I use the carbon in the filter i herd is no good should I replace it with one extra foam instead and do 30 % daily w/c ???? would I be enough for the sake of discus?? :o :blushing:

ronrca
06-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Just curious! Have you looked at the article http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=9625

Is that something your perhaps interested in doing? Or would you prefer buying one? ;)

KARINA
06-10-2003, 08:18 PM
.... i would but will I be able to do all that i am a women without a mens help!!! if I just knew where to get that stuff and what exactly i need to make one!! do I need two? is that kind of a trickle filter? ronrca would you advice me on that or anyone? please... :)

KARINA
06-10-2003, 08:19 PM
........and one more thing what should I put it there?

ChloroPhil
06-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Karina,

If you're not too terribly interested in a project like that I'd go with an Eheim 2028 Pro II on a 90 gallon. They're really easy to use and are an awesome filter.

If you want step by step instructions on how I built the filter system I'll be happy to help out.

KARINA
06-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Thank you !!!! i will be really happy :D :bounce:if you could help me step by step to build my own filter!!! that would be great thank you very much i will be waiting for your response what should I purchase first in order to start ( maybe i can use my 10 gallon tank for that?)....

RAWesolowski
06-11-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm marking this thread to see how well Bio and Ron provide help. It looks like a great DIY project.

Ron, I missed that thread you posted when it first came up. Thanks for including it! I guess Bio is more than a pretty tank... ;)

ronrca
06-11-2003, 10:18 AM
No problem! Thats what Im here for!

In my opinion and experience, diy projects usually out preform and are much more cost effective than buying off the shelf. In the beginning it may be overwhelming and intimidating however you have to remember that you will not get it right the first time. Practice, practice! Maybe you have to start over but the end result will be satisfing epecially when you tell your family/friends that you build it yourself.

So, Karina! If you need any help, do not be afraid to ask questions. We are more than willing to help. You can PM us also.

First, where are you located Karina?
Do you have a hardware store near you like Home Depot?

KARINA
06-11-2003, 10:28 AM
.... yes i do have home depot store here i am located in NY, Queens to be exact....and maybe i will get right the first time lets hope ;) let me know what should i buy first, i have feew things from my ehaim carnister 2213 maybe i can use anything from there? what's diy? i will be waiting.... :) TX

ronrca
06-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Good! Home Depot is a very good store!

Just a note! I will be refering to the pics in the link I posted.

First, what we will need is some 1/2" PVC pipe. This is found in the plumbing section. The pipe usually comes in 10' lengths I believe and is grey. If you dont have a truck, I usually cut the pipe in half to fit in my car (they should have a saw called a hack saw somewhere to cut the pipe or ask someone). You may also want to purchase a hacksaw to cut the pipe unless you have one.

Next we will need some 1/2" valves called ball valves also found in the plumbing section (I will take some time to get familar where everything is. Just take your time). You can see them in the pics (second picture). They have a red handle.

We will also need some connectors like 90 elbows, 45 elbow, Tee connectors all found in the plumbing section. How many you need will be specific to your tank though. I usually buy half a dozen or so. You can always return the ones you dont use.

That should give you a good start. Maybe Bio has some more detailed pics that he could send you or post showing some of the connections.

HTH so far! ;)

KARINA
06-11-2003, 12:35 PM
hello ronrca!!

.... i am going to do some shoping at home depot today will you just let me know one more thing i will be using 90 or 125 g tank so how many connectors will i need for it? and do I need to get the 90 and the 45 elbows or either of them? and when i get it what next?

thanks a lot :D

ronrca
06-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Eager, eager! ;) I like it! ;D

Get both 90 and 45 elbows! Get at least 6 each or more. You can always return them if needed. Personally, I like buying more than not enough as driving back to Home Depot takes time again.

The volume of the tank doesnt impact how many connectors you need. Its how your system is setup.

ChloroPhil
06-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Karina,

Try to find Schedule 21 PVC rather than the heavier and thicker Schedule 40 stuff. It's lighter and has a much larger inner diameter in relation to the outer diameter. Keep in mind that PVC is measured by the inner diameter (ID) and CPVC (chlorinated PVC) is measured by it's OUTER diamer (OD).

That means, if you get a section of 3/4" PVC you'll actually have a pipe that's closer to a full inch in diameter on the outside. Likewise, 3/4" CPVC will have an OD of 3/4" with an ID of closer to 1/2".

Tell me, do you have an overflow box? If so, take it to Home Depot and make sure any fittings you use fit it before buying. I made that mistake. Most premade overflow boxes have a hole for a 1" PVC fitting. You'll need both a male and a female connector, both with one threaded and one slip (smooth) end. The threads are to attach the pieced together on opposite sides of the overflow's hole. This way you'll have a slip fitting for a 1" PVC pipe. AGAIN, MAKE SURE ALL PIECES FIT PROPERLY BEFORE BUYING. :)

If you don't have an overflow box you're going to need to find a section of tubing (usually vinyl) that will fit around your Eheim's intake tube and is long enough to reach the bottom of your tank's stand. The extra length is to guard against having a too short tube.

Since Ron's being so good about the piping part I'm going to start getting into how I built the sump itself.

You asked if a 10g is big enough. Not really. I've got a 20g (Long) under a 90g and it has enough room to hold the filter media as well as a good reservoir of water. It's also got enough room to hold the excess if my power goes out and the water siphons out.

When purchasing your sump tank try to find a store which will drill holes in it for you. If that's not possible you'll be heading to a glass shop anyway and they should be able to do it for you. HOWEVER, while at the LFS you're going to need to purchase your bulkheads. Get one that is made for 1/2" pipe and another to fit either the 1" PVC or the flexible tubing. This is VERY important..without these you're going to have a horrible leak and will get water everwhere..:(

Your next step is to go to the glass shop and get three 1/4" glass sheets cut to fit the inside of your sump tank.

Ok. Go ahead and read the post about the filter again. I'll come back later with more directions and any answers I can come up with. :)

KARINA
06-11-2003, 09:37 PM
thank you guys that's a lot at ones but i like that when i get it all i will let you know so i guess i should buy bigger tank to use as the sump tank at least 20 g for 90 g show tank right? thank you very much guys i hope when i see all these things in Home Depot i will start to understand more of these completley " japanese" words to me , wish me good luck guys!!!:D

ChloroPhil
06-11-2003, 10:31 PM
-OR- you can go get a Rubbermaid tub with a lid, cut a hole in the lid, drill a few inches of holes in the bottom, fill it with pumice, and stick your hose in there. That works too...:)

Smokey
06-12-2003, 02:34 AM
Good work - Ron/Phil. I am sure Karina will be able to build a great unit.

Karina - I would recomend using a RubberMaid container; for holding the pumice. Easy to work with/cheap. Easy to located ! Make sure it can fit inside the sump tank, without putting any pressure on the sides of the glass tank.

You could also use two RubberMaid containers. One, large container, as the sump itself.
And the second, smaller container, for the pumice rock.

Again - cheap, easy to locate and no special tools needed to drill it.

Smokey

KARINA
06-12-2003, 09:47 AM
guys i know this is all natural to you but i have a question here...the rabburemaid will go inside the tank that i will use as the sump tank ( i want to buy 20g) or i will buy the rubbermaid insted ? and what is pumice is what comes inside? smokey mentioned that this all go inside the glass tank?

thanks guys i think this will be harder then you thought , ha? :)

ronrca
06-12-2003, 10:00 AM
Dont worry Karina! It will not be too hard! Besides, thats what we get paid to do! :o ;) Ok, ok! No pay cheque, just satisfaction to help someone! ;D

Smokey mentioned using 2 methods. You can use a rubbermaid container that fits inside a glass tank or use can just use a rubbermaid. In your case, just go for the rubbermaid. Very cheap and you can get big containers like 50G! They work very well. The size of the container will depend on how much room you have under the 90G! The best thing to do is measure the space and go to Home Depot or Walmart and find a container that will work. ;)

KARINA
06-12-2003, 10:09 AM
...got ya ronrca, thank you !!

i liked your story .... my goes almost the same :) i writed it to tell you but accedently erased it !!! but it was too long top re-type it so i let go ,no ones care anyway ;)

Smokey
06-12-2003, 01:58 PM
Karina:
Sorry if I was not very clear. One of my suggestions; is to use two RubberMaid containers.

A large RubberMaid container. This would be your actual 'sump" . Lots of room for a submergibile pump and heater.

A second RubberMaid container, a smaller one. This container would sit inside the larger RubberMaid container.
The smaller rubbermaid container would hold the pumice rock and any other filtering material you would like to use.

Like Phil suggested, have the smaller container sit off the bottom of the sump,{ larger rubbermaid container].

The RubberMaid containers can be drilled / or cut very easily. No special tools necessary ! Something every body can do, right at home. And they are inexpensive to purchase. I have used them as holding tanks, before. The discus seem to like the shade of green.

What I like about the RubberMaid container, is that they use a 'softer' more flexible material. And very thick bottoms.
Since they come with accomping lids; you could fit the lids to close over the entire finished unit. This will help prevent water evaporation and heat loss.

NOTE: from ny expierence;Some different brands are "brittle". These type can crack easily. NOT WHAT A PERSON WANTS !

HTH.

Smokey

KARINA
06-12-2003, 11:10 PM
thank you smokey thats more understandable to me!!! ::) it get little crazy since i am new at this but i will do it and then i show you guys picture of what i am able to do , ok? :idea2:

Smokey
06-13-2003, 03:52 AM
I understand Karina. sometime I forget to slow down and do a step - by - step description. . Just ask Ronca.

Good luck ; and do not forget to ask if something puzzles you. that is what we like to do here ... figure out puzzles.

Suggestion, do a picture tour of the project. Many others would like to see .

don't forget to write.

Smokey

KARINA
06-13-2003, 10:01 AM
... i will write and i am sure before i post any pics of the done filter i will have another hundred questions before i finish it smokey! ;D!!

ronrca
06-13-2003, 10:04 AM
LOL! Smokey! See Karina! After months of e-mailing with Smokey, I still sometimes misunderstand his posts! Just ask Smokey how many questions I asked him and pictures that I drew and he sent back revised! ;D

Ask lots of questions! And when your done, ask more questions! ;)

Smokey
06-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Yup; I'm just a poor, misunderstood, hillbilly !

Ma -git mu gun, revinewers is a com'n . EEEEHAWWW. Thars gona be a hoedown tonite...

KARINA
06-13-2003, 12:41 PM
:bounce2: :bounce: you guys are funny :thumbsup:

Smokey
06-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Actually, I am the good looking one. ron - is the funny one.

ronrca
06-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Wow! Your in a good mood Smokey! Thanks for the kind comments! ;D Could of been worse I suppose and told everyone the truth! ;)

KARINA
06-16-2003, 11:43 AM
:D... you guys !!! smokey you are the good looking and always poorly understood ;) and ronrca the funny with the broken camera :) you guys are something...

smokey did your camera broke as well as ronrca's, have not seen your pictures on names to faces? scared to post it?

ronrca
06-17-2003, 01:58 PM
So Karina! How is the building progressing? We havent seen many questions lately! ;)

Just curious!

KARINA
06-17-2003, 02:07 PM
.... hey ronrca no more questions for now i am still getting the things to build it i don't have everything yet... since i am doing this alone i need more time .... i will let you know when i get it all, ok?

ronrca
06-17-2003, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the update!
No problem! Take your time! ;)

KARINA
06-17-2003, 02:43 PM
will keep you posted :)

Smokey
06-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Hi Karina. How is the project proceeding ?
Sounds like step "ONE" is coming together. - Collecting the nessary parts and pieces.
It is very interesting to "see" the different ways people build a project.
They always seems to come up with new ideas ~ a great idea !!

I find it rewarding to build my own equipment, as much as possible. Building a piece of "equipment" - allows for an oppertunity to learn and "customize" the unit.

I look forward to any and all feedback.

Smokey
ps. camera - sorry no pics available.

Ron, did you break your parents camera.??

Hahahaha - somethings never change. right.

Smokey
06-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Well , you wanted a pic.

ronrca
06-20-2003, 12:02 PM
So thats where you keep all your discus! LOL! No wonder you cant take any pics of your discus! ;D

KARINA
06-26-2003, 07:27 PM
the pic couldn't be any smaller Smokey?? try harder!!! :D