tired of the constant fighting between the fish. I am
looking for colorful but not a fish always looking for a
fight. I have a 75G tank with an Emp 400 and an Eheim
Canister filter for filtration. Now my questions bare bottom
tank, or small pebbles. Plants or no plants. I know they
demand clean water. I live in Mn. we have aquifers as
our main water source meaning the water is hard. I do
have access to RO water. What else do I need to know
before getting my feet wet, oh I have a 75G tank.

Thanks Bob.

ronrca
06-13-2003, 01:21 PM
Welcome to simplydiscus Bob!

Well, to start, I would like to explain that the best way to approach discus is the K.I.S.S. method! It means Keep It Simply Simple (Ok, the last one was Stupid but I dont like using it)!

Therefore to keep it simple, the best is bare bottom and no plants. About the water issue, tell us your water parameters. If you are comfortable using RO and have experience with it, it will not be a problem then.

HTH to start with! Please ask all the questions you have! We are here to ask them! ;)

If you have not already, please read:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911

Carol_Roberts
06-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Hi Piper, Welcome to simplyDiscus :wave:

If you are planning to start with a group of juveniles you could put a nice large group of say 12 to grow out in your 75. Bare is best for raising juveniles. Here is a thread you to help you start http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=9911

I would thouroughly clean and sterilize your tank. I suggest you either sterilize the filters and do a fishless cycle or at least run them with the tank empty of all fish for a few weeks, keeping the filter bed alive with pure amonia from the store. Without a host many fish nasties will die.

The emperor 400 alone is probably enough filtration since you will be doing lots more water changes than you have for the Africans.

Willie
06-14-2003, 09:30 PM
Bob;

You need the join the Midwest Discus Club, which is based in the Twin Cities. Send me an e-mail if you want to get on the circulation list for announcements.

Willie

Debo
06-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Welcome Bob! you have received some good advice here. Bare bare bottom is best! I started with planted tank 1 head ache after another! And Willie is right! Join the Midwest Discus Club, You'll meet some great people and get some good info! Simply is great place to start lots of helpful people here! What part of MN are you in? I am in St Peter. :)
DebO

Piper
06-14-2003, 11:00 PM
I live in Rosemount, south of St Paul. :)