06-13-2003, 02:39 PM
Where to begin and end. I would like to start a Discus
Aquarium. How long would need to do a fishless cycle
for. The water in Mn. is quite hard to say the least. I
have good filtration an Emp 400 . I would like to get
started!

ronrca
06-13-2003, 02:45 PM
We have a wealth of information at our finger tips. Here is a good article about cycling:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1151

Any questions, feel free to ask! ;)

Also check out:
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=21;action=display;threadid=7983

Carol_Roberts
06-13-2003, 06:41 PM
A fishless cycle can take just as long as cycling a filter with dither fish. When you put dither fish in a tank they can bring all kinds of diseases and parasites with them. Using pure ammonia to cycle your filter means you start with a disease free tank.

DougJ
06-14-2003, 11:29 PM
I just finished a fishless cycle on two tanks. Took about 5 weeks.

kenoz
06-15-2003, 09:27 PM
I've recently set up two new 140 litre tanks, and used "Stress Zyme" to help cycle the tanks. I placed this directly onto the noodles in the filter. Using some guppies and platies to produce amonium, both tanks cycled within 17 days. A few days after it cycled I introduced juvenile discus and two weeks later they're growing like crazy. Both tanks are planted and this probably helps with the nitrate absorption. I also recommend performing regular water changes whilst a tank is cycling.

xpotato
06-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Do I need to turn on the light while doing the fishless cycling?
???

Carol_Roberts
06-17-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't, but you got me to thinking . . . would bacteria grow faster with the light on . . or do they grow better in the dark? Filters are dark inside - especially cannister filters . . . so, I think lights off is fine. ;D

ronrca
06-17-2003, 01:54 PM
Actually, bacteria like it on the dim to dark side. However, it doesnt really matter. Bacteria will grow in places where its dark anyways like inside your filter. Therefore, when cycling, I would not worry about it. ;)

xpotato
06-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks!!!

If I couldn't get any good bacteria my friends (ansd I don't want to get it from LFS), is it going to take a long time for it to grow?

ronrca
06-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Well, there are 2 routes to go!

Start from scratch! It will take anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks!

Seed your tank from an existing tank. This is will take around 1-3 weeks.

Carol_Roberts
06-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Be safe . . . don't borrow media from friends. Your friends may not know they have copepods or parasites in their sponges.