PDA

View Full Version : scratches on glass tanks - help!!!!

neo_44
06-15-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi,

I've noticed a 4 inch long scratch near the bottom of the glass on my 55g.
It's almost unnoticeable, I think its just on the surface and not really deep. It's about an inch from the bottom at the front. >:(

I think I caused the scratch with one of those magnetic algae cleaners. It picked up a tiny rock, magnetized it, and it scratched the glass. Luckily, I noticed the rock right away and wiped it off. This just happened as I was cleaning on my way to a BB tank! >:( >:( >:( >:(

Does anyone think this could cause a leak/weakness in the tank???

Luca
06-15-2003, 01:45 AM
Hey Neo,
no it won't lead to any weakness in the tank if it is not deep, as you've suggested. I've done that plenty of times with my magnet scraper too, really sux.

>>Does anyone know how to get rid of water stains on the side of a tank? It happened when i floated a bag overnight and water ran down the tank and dried. I've tried metholated spirits but it didn't do anything ???

Luca.

Carol_Roberts
06-15-2003, 02:02 AM
Razorblade?

neo_44
06-15-2003, 02:03 AM
Thanks Luca,

Yeah, I'm just trying to re-assure myself that it won't be a problem. It's probably more of an eyesore now than a leak risk.

I'm wondering if adding some silicone might still be necessary, or would that just draw more attention to the scratch? I think I might just empty the tank and turn it around.

Ironic thing about it is, if I put my gravel back, the gravel is just high enough to cover up the scratch I made... :P

I would try a damp sponge to wipe of the water stain. Hopefully you won't need anything abrasive. Good luck.

Luca
06-15-2003, 02:46 AM
That's a good idea Carol, i think it is too "stuck" to be removed with a damp sponge thanks anyway Neo.

The silicone is a good idea i think, just get a really small bit, 2cm or so, and spread it into the scratch with a spatular. Meths will tidy up any mistakes. Seems a waste to take all the gravel out only to put it back in.

Luca.

Richman
06-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Luca,

I'll bet a little hydrogen peroxide and a scrub pad will take that water stain right off.

Luca
06-15-2003, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the idea Richman, is it available most likely from my local chemist?

Richman
06-15-2003, 09:35 PM
You should be able to get it at any druggist or drug store. Most grocery stores carry it . Should be somewhere beside the alcohol. First aid section.