PDA

View Full Version : Away on business

Very Fishy
06-16-2003, 02:58 PM
I was away on business last week for 3 days. This is the first time I have been away from my discus for any length of time. I got them back in mid-March. Before I left, I fed them and then did a 50% water change and a major scrub down of the aquarium. I decided not to feed them during my absence and turned the light off. When I arrived home after 3 days, they were doing fine. Very little waste on the bottom of the tank. I did another 50% water change and scrub down and fed them. They seemed glad to see me!!(or maybe they were just hungry ;D)

Carol_Roberts
06-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Probably they were glad to see you because they were so hungry, lol.

April
06-16-2003, 10:32 PM
glad to hear . longest ive been away is 5 days. and i got someone to just put one cube of bloodworms in a day. figured they couldnt not measure that. they did well. lower ph...but were looking good.

iceskater
06-17-2003, 10:26 AM
I am leaving for 2 long days in July, plan on doing the same, hope mine works out as well. I had not planned on turning off the lights but will add that to the list.

Larem

remikz
06-17-2003, 10:58 AM
I'm going away on friday for 7 days. There will be people in the house but no one who will be willing to do w/c. So i'm using the advice on this board to feed them up for a couple of days and do a couple of massive w/c the day before I go.

Should I leave the lights off for the whole 7 days?

henryD
06-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Longest I have been gone is 4-5 days. I did not feed them then. I did leave the lights off and the only light they got were natural sunlight.

I am going to be gone for 10 days this time. I am having my sister feed them once a day with some bloodworms that are premeasured. Maybe I will try the cube thing like April did. I was considering having her syphon off the crap on the bottom.

Did anyone add salt to the tanks? I think salt is suppose to help with the high nitrite( or is it nitrate?). Last time I did it I went with no salt and it seemed to work ok. I was just worried because I am going for a longer period of time this time.

Carol_Roberts
06-17-2003, 01:14 PM
I'd leave the lights off in a plantless tank. Don't feed at all for short trips.

I wouldn't worry about adding salt Henry. IF you can get your sister to siphon the bottom and maybe even add a bit of water that would be great. With adults feeding every 2nd or 3 rd day is probably sufficient for your 10 day trip. Juveniles should be fed more often.

henryD
06-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks Carol. That is what I am figuring at the moment. Going to pick up some cube bloodworms to make things easier on her. I was going to ask her to do water at the 5th day but too many things could go wrong. So I have decided against it.

I could see it now.....me coming home to a flooded house. With a 3 story house become 1 story.