PDA

View Full Version : No, no, not yet ...

dred
06-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Ok, if you've been following my adventure, you know that I have 4 spotteds being treated for sickness right now. It was my Golden trio that bullied the spotteds enough to earn their own home.

In another post I disclosed that mixed into the trio is a "practicing pair" that did courting, mutual cleaning, and dry spawning passes several times before being moved (hmm, related to severe bullying?). Well, they are at it again in their new home. But the interloper has no place to hide. I did my best not to provide them with a spawning site (white painted bare bottom 29H with just a Hydrosponge IV) but they are cleaning the aquarium glass together as I type.

So, I have several problems. These fish are in quarantine - in fact all of my Discus are treated as Quarantine fish as I haven't had any for longer than a month. So, can I save this fish from the horny preadolescents he lives with? The two other options would be adding him to a tank of sub 2.5" fry from another source which are also in quarintine (too risky, based on both size difference and risk of infection). Replace it in the spotted tank and hope that the couple were the root of the bullying, but the spotteds are being treated for Hex, and the Golden shows no symptoms - is a room at the hospital better than sharing a dorm room when your roomate has company? Finally these are definately juvenile fish. No chance they are runted - eyes are less than half the size of adult Discus eyes. So does the fifth wheel get a little motel of his own? Wouldn't he be lonely?

So, I can figure two ways you guys could help me out of this jam. One, you could always send me some 3.5-4" Discus to keep this guy from gett'n lonely. I'll break down and set up the 40 tank that is a designated hospital tank (I'll never have a hospital tank at this rate <LOL>) so we can accomodate 5 or 6 at that size <smile>.

Or, if nobody twists my arm to make me adopt their fishies - how 'bout some clues as to how to slow down the mating dance. I promise I'm not using any of the spawning trigers I've stored up my sleeve - they are still in tap water - go figure. Yes, it is very, very clean water but they deserve at least that.

Nuff rambling. But, the golden bachelor would appreciate your advice - he nearly left the tank twice while I was typing - they always see him when he peeks past the sponge filter. Yes, the top is secure.

TIA,
milton

Carol_Roberts
06-17-2003, 02:14 AM
HI Milton:
It's time to invest in a tank divider. Put the pair on one side and the lone golden on the other. He can watch them through the divider, yet still eat and rest peacefully

dred
06-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks Carol, picked up one of those flourescent light waffles and cut it to size this afternoon. If they start again tonight I'll get'm seperated. No matter how hard I stare I'm not positive of which is the bachelor. These jokers are identically sized and there isn't enough pepper on any to use as a distinguishing characteristic. The pair swims together, but as soon as they see me approaching with that "I'm gonna change something again" look they are suddenly a threesome again.

Now, you gotta promise they won't turn into flower horns when I stick this thing in the tank - deal? <LOL>

milton