PDA

View Full Version : Brown algae

razzbo56
06-17-2003, 02:51 PM
I have had a planted 150 gallon tank set up for 3 months now.3.5 watts per gallon pc lighting and they are on for 11 hrs.They have started developing a brown hair like algae. How do I get rid of it ? ;D ;D

ronrca
06-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Welcome to simplydiscus!

Hmmm! Check out this link:
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#hair

HTH! Not exactly sure about the brown hair like algae! Maybe there is a pic on the link I posted. ;)

Mr.Trips
06-17-2003, 11:09 PM
I have the same problem, and like the article says, I have to cut the plants way back, and hope they make it. My smaller leaf plants like Horn wart will not get it, but most of my very broad leafs will get it.

Good luck, and let me know what you do!

bloom
06-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Is some of the algae pretty long (inch or so) and actually look like hair. Could be thread algae. Had something like that in my tank. Thought it was cat hair.

I have a low light tank, so different situation than yours, but you could try to post what fertilizing you are doing so someone on this board good with that could see if all looks in order. In tank, when I cut back from 12 hours of light/day to 10, the thread algae decreased.

steve

bloom
06-19-2003, 08:17 PM
Also, if it looks like one of the other pictures in the link Ronrca posted (e.g. the middle picture of red algae), SAE's might help get rid of it. I don't think they help much with thread algae.

steve :)

aix
07-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Sounds like red algae. This is a tricky one. It usually comes with high temperature and too low lighting. Algae eaters probably do not eat them and algae fighting chemicals usually do not work. I will try to remember how I got rid of them. :-\