PDA

View Full Version : homemade hoover

dorse
06-19-2003, 01:10 PM
after using several different types of "hoover" on the market ranging from air pump powered to batter powered, ive found that none of these meet my expectations, so ive decided to make my own using a small fountain pump, to act as the lift mechanism, but in some places im going to require glue to adhere some parts together, are there any suitable for use in an aquarium, i was just going to use superglue, but then i thought id better check to see if it was ok in an aqaurium setting :)
any advice very welcome
cheers james

06-19-2003, 01:20 PM
superglue will not work in a water situation...i tried to build a small boat out of popsicle sticks and super glue when i was seven...it came apart and sank ;)
'course, i might've just been impatient for the glue to set....
try using the cement for pvc pipes, or silicone...depending on what you're fastening together...
david

ronrca
06-19-2003, 01:22 PM
Ok! Pardon me asking but what is a hoover?

As David mentioned, PVC glue works well or what about silicon?

Rick_May
06-19-2003, 04:45 PM
I think its a vacuum.

I think superglue would be ok as long as it's cured before you start using it. read the packing I think their is a 'set' (in seconds) time and a 'cure' time. What I use is in pump inline, I just start a siphon, to prime the pump then hit the power. all I needed was a hose, some hose clamps and a pump.