PDA

View Full Version : AmQuel Chlorine remover ?

tau
06-19-2003, 04:29 PM
Hi, I am just starting out in this hobby. I got my first two discus today actually. Currently I am using Kordon AmQuel to remove Chlorimines and chlorine out of the water. Can anyone tell me if this product is any good at taking the chlorine out of my tap?

ronrca
06-19-2003, 04:33 PM
I have never used it but it claims it does remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramine according to www.bigalsonline.com
;)

I think you should be safe!
http://www.enkoi.com/water_treatments/amquel.html

tau
06-19-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm saving up for a R/O system. But for now I just want to be sure that this stuff really works.

06-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi :wave: Tau.....

Welcome to SimplyDiscus :thumbsup:

I use Amquel and it's been working great for me ;)

When using Amquel if you test for ammonia...... "Don't" be surprised if your ammonia readings are through the roof :o I can't remember right off hand what brand test kit I used but it showed False readings for ammonia :o

I just want to give you a heads up on that ;) ...... find out which test kit you'll be needing for Amquel.

Beth

tau
06-19-2003, 05:21 PM
Oh what a relieve. I glad someone uses AmQuel. Thanks Beth!! ;)

blaze
06-19-2003, 07:12 PM
like Beth said...

amquel is great :), You can't go wrong with Amquel. I use it in the Goldfish tanks, (not so frequent water changes)

but it can not be used with any "nessler regent" ammonia test kits, it will give wierd/false readings.

It must be used with Salictate ammonia test kits, like;
Kordon's AquaTru
'Aquarium Pharmaceuticals' Ammonia test kit, the one in the yellow box, with the 2 bottles, thats the one i use . warning it will last u a long time 130 test. :)

ronrca
06-19-2003, 07:16 PM
I use the Aquarium Pharm. test kits and they gave me false readings too. I have chloramines in my tap. But I was using the old version they had, the one with only 1 bottle.

bloom
06-19-2003, 08:31 PM
One warning tau--I don't want to give you more stuff to worry about and the people who have already posted on this have a lot more experience than me, but I've seen some posts talking about ph going down dramatically with Amquel (I think if was in situations of soft water). I saw on the Kordon website that they have a version of Amquel now with ph buffers that's not supposed to affect ph. Maybe someone else here can give more advice about this.

steve

Carol_Roberts
06-19-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi Tau:
No need to worry about an RO for months. If people can drink your water your baby discus will most likely do fine.

April
06-20-2003, 12:56 AM
hi yes amquel is not good for alkaline unstable water. they have a warning at the bottom of the bottle in tiny writing.
but if your wanting an ro unit.i take it your water is not soft. so should be fine. my water is almost ro out of the tap and the amquel crashed my ph after two uses.
and their right have to use a special ammonia test kit.
thought i had ammonia and kept doing wc after wc and then i added a tiny amount of amquel in my test kit and brown!! then i realized what was going on.
some people use it for shipping to help with the ammonia .
so.good stuff as long as not very soft water. then they have a powder product with the buffers.

tau
06-20-2003, 01:45 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys. Now I can enjoy my tank with confidence.

breed_beyond
06-20-2003, 06:14 PM
Personally I hate amquel, my discus hate it and do much much better when I use Prime. I have since ceased all use of amquel.

jeep
06-20-2003, 07:08 PM
I use to use AmQuel and I never had any problems with it, but after hearing of several bad stories I now use Prime.

Prime is 1/2 the strength of Pond Prime and PP goes a lot further for the money.

FYI, be cautious because an RO unit will not remove chloramines unless you have a DI attached and the DI will only last about 200 - 300 gallons of produced water.

Brian

tau
06-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Jeep,
Can you give me some pointers on where to find Pond Prime? Also is it cheaper than Amquel when mixed? Currently I find that Amquel is quite expensive.

jeep
06-20-2003, 08:51 PM
www.bigalsonline.com

This is where I get Pond Prime. The description at Big Al's is incorrect. 500ml will treat 10,000 gallons for around $9. I think...

Prime will also give false ammonia readings.

Brian

tau
06-20-2003, 11:45 PM
Great Jeep. Thanks! ;D

barron
06-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Tetra test nh3/nh4 will not give a fasle positive.

I use Sea-Chem prime, 5 mls treat 50 gallons, and only a slight discoloring using (Aquarium Pharmaceuiticals el-cheapo).

Try using a pool cl2 test kit Wal-Mart sells them fot a couple of bucks, I spot check the tap. Depends who is sleeping at water plant I guess anywhere from a 2ppm-8ppm. ZZZZZZZ.
Need to watch these buggers.

wall_o_fish
06-22-2003, 04:17 PM
So, I'm still a little confused. Will the newer, two-bottle version of Aquarium pharmaceuticals' Ammonia test kit give true or false readings with chloramine treatment?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

scott

daddyg70
06-23-2003, 02:08 AM
Prime is the way to go. 1 ml per 20g/H20. I bought the 2 liter bottle from bigalsonline.com and it comes with a 1 ml dropper. Only 2 ml per wc per day in a 60g tank. I still have a lot left! There is something written in the instructions if water temp is 86 degrees plus which most of our tanks are. I e-mailed seachem and they basically said it wasn't a big concern with discus.

I recommend use up your amquel then purchase a bottle of prime at big als.

tau
06-23-2003, 05:06 PM
Wow two drops. Thats is a powerful. I'm disappointed in the fact that I didn't here about this stuff before I bought the amquel.

jeep
06-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Wow two drops. Thats is a powerful. I'm disappointed in the fact that I didn't here about this stuff before I bought the amquel.

That would be 2 ml, not 2 drops...

daddyg70
06-23-2003, 08:11 PM
yeah 2 ml, but still "powerful"! ;D

barron
06-24-2003, 03:06 AM
Greg

I use prime and it is 1 ml per 10 gal. Do you have another line of prime. Also I did not get the dropper with the 6 oz
however I got it with the smaller one wow can you figure that.

Barron

jeep
06-24-2003, 05:45 AM
Prime = 1ML per 10 gallons.

Pond Prime = 1ML PER 20 gallons. The discription on Big Al's is incorrect.

Brian

daddyg70
06-24-2003, 10:55 PM
I got the 2 liter size from big als. I don't think the smaller sizes comes with a dropper. Brian is right, prime is 1 ml per 10g instead of 2 ml.

Greg