PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating?

tau
06-19-2003, 08:09 PM
How long can my discus live without food. I'm asking because, I just started my discus tank today. It has been several hours now and they are ignoring the CBW I put in the tank. I know that my other fish tanks do the same thing, but I'm worried because I heard that discus have to be fed 4 times a day. So how long can they live without food? ???

bloom
06-19-2003, 08:24 PM
I think it's normal for discus to take at least a couple days to aclimate to a new tank and start eating. A lot of people recommed raising the temperature to about 88 for the first 2 weeks to help stimulate appetite (3 weeks if it was a long move for them--e.g. overnight shipping). I think it's also key to not overfeed now and to keep the water clean.

steve :)

rickk
06-19-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi Tau, It sounds like you have just put them in the tank, If so it can take some time for them to settle in. when I bring home new Discus I don't feed them for the first day, if this is your first tank I would also think that you are quite excited about them and are spending a lot of time watching them. I try to leave them be for the first day. (it's hard to do I Know)
Is your tank bare or planted out. When I bring home new Discus I also give them something to hide behind for a few days, It is a stressfull time for your new friends.

It is not time to be stressed out yet.

What is the water parameters

tau
06-19-2003, 09:06 PM
Rick the tank is 40 gal bare bottom tank, just a heater and sponge filter. The was temp is 86f, ph 7.5. The water has been dechlorinated by using amquel. Do you think I should hold off on any water changes till they eat?

Ardan
06-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi,
Keep up daily wc's with aged water.

Was the filter cycled before the fish added? If not monitor ammonia/nitrite.

I agree they take time to settle in.
You can add 2 tblsp/10 gal noniodized salt to help them deal with stress and settle in.

hth

rickk
06-19-2003, 09:57 PM
Tau, I do water changes regardless, 40-50% with aged water, clean water is so important. IMO to put a couple of Clay pots or even a couple of clean dark bottles(Beer bottle or such. I use clay pots) for them to hide is a great way to reduce stress, I also add salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gals on the 2nd day if still not eating, It seems to increase their appetite. once they have settled I remove the pots.

How many Discus do you have in this tank and how old are they

Water temp and PH are fine.

I'm only new at this myself, but over the past 6 months i have brought in over 40 new discus and this method has worked best for me. I believe that clean aged water and reduced stress in that order is the best way to settle new fish.
Like I said I'm only new at this and their are others on this site who have far more experience than me.

I hope this helps some

Rick

tau
06-19-2003, 10:15 PM
I have 2 in there now. But I'm planning to put 2 to 3 more in a few weeks.

rickk
06-19-2003, 10:38 PM
You have plenty of room for more fish depending on how big they are, I agree with Ardan, keep an check on your ammonia and nitrite. if the filter is cycled you should have no problems, if not check levels at least twice a day and increase w/c if needed.

if you are bringing in new fish it is important to have a quarantine tank, This way you can make sure your new fish are healthy before adding them to you excisting fish. I QT for 8 weeks, some QT for 4weeks or somewhere in between, better to be safe than sorry.

Rick

Carol_Roberts
06-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Hi Tau:
Are your two little discus still hiding by the filter or have they gotten brave and ventured out?

They will eat better when you get the rest of your discus from Jeff - when are they due?

tau
06-20-2003, 01:47 AM
Actually Carol, they are beginning to expore the tank. I'll try to feed themagain tomorrow. In the mean time I'll keep bugging Jeff to stock up more fish. ;D