PDA

View Full Version : Color enhancing food?

tau
06-20-2003, 12:11 PM
After looking at all the postings in the breeder section, I notice that a lot of them claim to have discus that were not fed color enhancing food. Why is this something to be proud of. I mean if the food can help the discus look better, why not feed all discus with color enhancing food. I'm sure there are down sides, please post them. :-\

Carol_Roberts
06-20-2003, 05:48 PM
Maybe those breeders are showing how colorful their discus are without enhancement? Nothing wrong with color feeding in my book. Most commercial foods have a bit anyway.

Fisheyes
06-21-2003, 12:02 AM
I believe I have read some colour enhansers can cause steril fish.

Fisheyes :crazy:

Carol_Roberts
06-21-2003, 12:10 AM
I believe you are thinking of hormones. When given at a young age the discus color up quickly, but maybe sterile as adults

H_B_K
06-21-2003, 12:40 AM
Hi carol,

Actually not all color enhancer contain hormones onli a few such as CR6, red booster. If we fed hormones, the color of the discus will appear within a week. But there is a disadvantage- it may cause permanent damage to your discus such as infertile. In singapore, breeder like to use carotene or some color enhancer tat does not contain hormone. Usually breeder use to feed color enhancer at the size of 1-1.5 inch so tat it will not bring any harm to the discus.
;)

Jeff
06-21-2003, 12:41 AM
I feed color enhancing foods and am proud of it. I feed tetra bits, Hikari BW, and ONF 1 & 2. All are color enhancing. ;D

angel12
06-21-2003, 08:11 AM
As most members have said already Most commericaly available foods have some form of colour enhancing addative in them so realy I wouldnt worry to much... ....

:)

tau
06-21-2003, 01:58 PM
When people on this board mention tetra bits, do they mean tetra colorbits. That is the product I use. I don't know if its the same.

Carol_Roberts
06-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Yes, same thing ;D

blaze
06-21-2003, 11:19 PM
hi everyone,
just wondering, what foods will bring out the BLUES in discus?
I read somewhere on this our beloved forum (yes i kiss *** for my discus), that OATS brings out the blues. If true will someone pllz tell me what type of oats to use.