PDA

View Full Version : what type of filter?

pukus
06-21-2003, 04:50 PM
i was wondering would you recomend using just a wet dry filter or sponge filters with a power filter, or do both ideas work just fine? :)

Carol_Roberts
06-21-2003, 05:00 PM
All those filters will work

pukus
06-22-2003, 08:16 AM
thanks carol :)

barron
06-22-2003, 03:29 PM
I use sponges and a canister. However I like sponges with a wet/dry. This add to water vol. plus makes adjusting chem and meds and water testing easy, no need to lift the tank lid all the time. Fish like this.

I will be changing the can to a 33 gal d.i.y. wet/dry as soon as I have time.

Barron

pukus
06-22-2003, 07:27 PM
thanks barron,
i was wondering do have any pictures of the wet dry filter you want to make or any plans?thanks luke

Willie
06-22-2003, 07:49 PM
There's a lot of DIY plans around for wet-drys, Luke. But one word of advice. The home made ones generate incredible amounts of humidity. Its okay in a hatchery, but can cause serious damage to a house. The mailorder ones are pricey, but they're much better in terms of humidity control.

Willie

barron
06-24-2003, 03:33 AM
Hi Pukus

I will use a drum with an egg crate mounted in. Bio balls on top of he egg crate and the sump below the egg crate. Flow
will come from an over-flow box to a spray bar no drip plate.
The spray bar will spin. I Know a place that makes the spray bar, but I can not find the web page, they talk about farming Kio fish, most have farms 50,000 gal plus. When I find the site I will send it to You. I will still keep the sponges
I run a power inverter for the sponges should power drop out, this way I lose only the can.

Barron

barron
06-24-2003, 03:41 AM
Hi Luke

Willie is correct on that, I run a de-humidifier here, I get 2 gal every couple of days. I am wasting money because it sucks my age water and tanks to. I am looking for a good humidity meter to control my unit, this will help cut down on the waste.

Barron

barron
06-24-2003, 04:01 AM
Luke

Here is the web site

http://www.aquacenterinc.com/filtration/filtration-pg1.asp

See page 7.

Here is the Kio link

http://www.koi.com.my/forum/Koi_Health_C5/Fish_Medicatio
n_F9/Salt._Sodium_Chloride._NaCl_P7536-2

Looks good, I will poss. make my own bar.

Lots of time on my hands on retirement disability.

Barron

pukus
06-25-2003, 12:31 PM
hey barron, thanks for websites, i was thinking if you have a wet dry filter filtering a number of tanks, cant diseases and parasites be passed from one tank to the other?

Carol_Roberts
06-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Yes.

Personally I prefer seperate filtration for each tank. Wet/Dry are good filters and many are made for individual tanks.

ChloroPhil
07-15-2003, 07:58 PM
I LOVE my wet/dry filters. Check this out: it's a so-so description of how I made my own filter. It's designed for a planted tank, but will work just as well in a non-planted environment. You'll just have to keep the water level lower, that's all.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=9625