PDA

View Full Version : how long's it take for a fishless cycle to get going?

wall_o_fish
06-24-2003, 12:18 AM
Okay, I've read some other threads on simply about fishless cycles and have seen that it takes 10 days to a month to cycle, but I'm getting sort of nervous. I'm doing a fishless cycle right now, and after putting in bio-spira I still find that after two days there's not even a trace of nitrite yet. Is this normal?

scott

Carol_Roberts
06-24-2003, 12:41 AM
I did a true fishles cycle - no bacteria helper bottled or otherwise.

It took about 4 weeks for nitrIte to start rising and about 6 weeks to totally cycle the filter. Just like usign dither fish.

Perhaps the biospira in no good . . The ammonia is 3 - 5ppm?

Nightowl
06-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Hey Scott, Nightowl here, how's it going? I've never done a fishless cycle as personally don't see the point of it. I always use a cultured sponge from an established tank OR..... bio spira! It doesn't suprise me that there's no nitrite as I've only occasionally gotten any nitrite or ammo. readings, but I don't think its designed to use w/out fish. I have posted info about bio-spira because I know it works. I have used it 4 times this year to start tanks of discus with, adding the fish ,new water(dechlorinated), all new filters at the same time & I had no problems w/ ammo. or nitrite except the 4th time, when I added 5 more fish to the tank 10 days in and had a slight rise in nitrite, to about .5 ppm. So IMO it is safe to add fish, even discus, to newly set up tanks using bio-spira. I know this isn't adressing your post directly, but I thought the info might be useful.... there are a couple of threads on bio-spira in gen. section. later, J :vanish:

Carol_Roberts
06-24-2003, 12:59 AM
Hi Scott:

I guess a very important question is . . . do you show any nitrAte? If so you you are cycled

wall_o_fish
06-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks all for your comments.

I haven't checked the nitrates for a while, so I'll give that a go. I'm a bit worried though, as there's still plenty of ammonia (from chloramines) in the water. the ammonia readings seem to be around .5.

As for the other comments: i much agree that the way to go is to use media from another cycled tank, however this time I don''t have that luxury. i just moved from the midwest to san diego, and I don't know anyone in southern california from whom to borrow clean media.

ennyhoo, best to all.
scott

ronrca
06-24-2003, 10:19 AM
If you used Bio-spira, I would not be surprised that your tank is cycled. Even though I have not used it before (cant get it), I have heard many good things about it bio-spira! I would be adding a lot of ammonia (8ppm) and letting the bacteria grow to deal with the huge bio load before adding fish.

The ammonia reading that you are getting is probably from the chloramines like you mentioned. There is not much you can do about it but let the biofilter take care of it. This ammonia reading is false though because what ever condition you are using, it should detoxicify the ammonia.

About using established media for cycling. While it may by a good idea, sometimes you would like to start up a tank that is 'new', no nasties the could perhaps be in other tanks with fish.

dred
06-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Wall-o,

Just curious: what's your pH? I recently learned that the tank cycles much faster with higher pH. The bacterial colony reproduces very slowly in an acidic environment.

Regarding the bio spira. If it was kept properly refrigerated, it works. However, it is designed to be added with the fish. The fish are necessary to establish the bioload so the colony can size properly.

I agree that the growth of nitrates will be your only clue as to whether or not your filter has cycled. You should not get a nitrite spike when using bio spira. If you are still unsure when your fish arrive, remember that biospira can't be overdosed, so if you add it again with the fish you can be confident that your nitrogen cycle is adequate.

milton

ronrca
06-24-2003, 06:21 PM
;)

Regarding the bio spira. If it was kept properly refrigerated, it works. However, it is designed to be added with the fish. The fish are necessary to establish the bioload so the colony can size properly. Fish are not absolutely necessary. You can also add ammonia to keep building the bio larger and larger.