PDA

View Full Version : Best book for beginners?

mario
06-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm currently keeping fish in four tanks (2x10 gallon, 29 gallon and 90 gallon). Three of the four tanks are heavily planted, one is kept as quarantaine/grow-out tank.

In the future I would like to dedicate my 90 gallon tank to discus (it already has a beautifyl school of rummy-nose tetras). I read up a lot on the web about keeping discus, but I found that a good comprehensive book is always good to have around.

If any of you have suggestions about a good book for a beginner to discus (not beginner to fish keeping) please let me know. It would be great if you could include why you like the book and what potential problems the book might have.

Thanks very much for your input and I'm sure I'll be back with loads of more questions when I actually start converting the tank... mario

Don_Lee
06-24-2003, 12:24 PM
I like Jack Wattleys "Discus For The Perfectionist" and/or "Penang Discus. Great information in both books. For picture books, nothing beats Asian Discus Volumes 1&2.

Don ;D

Carol_Roberts
06-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Penang Discus by Shaifullah Yeng sold at www.belowwater.com is my favorite discus book (and I own lots of them). It is expensive, but well worth the price. I still refer to it as it has sections on most aspects of discus keeping. While beginners will gain much from this book it is also very helpful for experienced hobbiests.

NoBarDiscus
06-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Discus as a Hobby - Jim Quarles

Best discus book for beginners.

Darren
06-24-2003, 03:55 PM
There are a lot of great books out there but nothing beats Simplydiscus for the best and latest information ;)

Darren

dred
06-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Hey Mario,

Well, I found myself in a very similar situation to yours recently. So I attacked all the half price and 75% off book stores I could find and bought every Discus title available.

Of the 10 or so Discus titles in my collection, my vote for the best all-around book is Dick Au's "Back to Nature Guide to Discus". It's not about weird filtration schemes or sloshing through the amazon toting a net. Rather, the phrase: "Back to Nature" refers to very frequent reference to the conditions Discus come from. I recommend this book because it is the only title I have that presents a consistently accurate discussion of Discus keeping issues. Too many of the titles I have present rumor and guesses as facts and then fail to support their position.

My number 2 recommendation is Bernd Degan's "Discus: Guide to Breeding". I also like this one for it's presentation. You'd think this title was just about breeding, but it is a worthwile addition to your collection whether or not breeding is in your future.

milton

MGR
06-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Hello guys all also go with Success with Discus by Jim E. Quarles it goes to the point not alot of pics but very good info.

Mgr

mario
06-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone. I bought myself a couple of books and I'm looking forward to start reading up. I'll be back later with more questions :) ... mario

samcatj
06-28-2003, 08:15 PM
discus as a hobby by Jim Quarles
very easy to understand and simply written

Good Luck,

Samcatj

fcdiscus
06-28-2003, 09:08 PM
Wattley Discus for The perfectionist. But this website is better. Frank 8)

ks
06-29-2003, 01:04 AM
penang discus - my favorite which i refer to regularly.

jack wattley's 'handbook of discus'. my first discus book, very informative.

ks :)

Sketchy
06-29-2003, 08:01 AM
...spend time reading all the info in these forums and you are definitely headed toward success with your fish!

ChloroPhil
07-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Nature Aquarium World 1 by Takashi Amano. ;D

Very Fishy
07-16-2003, 08:43 AM
I enjoy reading Discus books but alot of them have outdated information. I find this forum has the best most current information :)