PDA

View Full Version : Bare bottom tanks: paint or not??

Mrgij01
06-24-2003, 10:33 PM
I have seen many people with barebottom tanks that have discus. I understand that this makes it easier to clean as well as having several other benifits.

My question is; Do most of you paint the bottom of your tanks(on the outside) to cut down on the glare?
I was wondering if the glare or reflection would scare or make the fish uneasy.

Carol_Roberts
06-24-2003, 10:42 PM
My tanks have either a fabric coverd piece of styrofoam or a low nap plush rug underneath them. Others paint the bottom of their tanks - on the outside.

Mrgij01
06-24-2003, 11:52 PM
Thanks Carol.
Have you ever noticed any problems with any discus in a tank that does not have anything on the bottom?

Carol_Roberts
06-25-2003, 12:07 AM
I've never had a tank with nothing on the bottom. I always use stryofoam or a dense rug. Besides adding a bit of insulation it allows the tank to "settle" a bit.

richgrenfell
06-25-2003, 12:10 AM
I paint the sides and back as well. I do the same for angels. I have found that it makes this fish feel more secure, and active. It also really helps with the darting that happens when there is a glare, or something startles them. This is especially helpful with spawning tanks.

Rich

Mrgij01
06-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Thanks Rich, thats what I am going to do.

korbi_doc
06-25-2003, 10:14 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I just painted the bottom of a long 20g (took it outside) with American Accents Stone Creations spray paint in brown with flecks & it looks great! Like a wet sand; the bars across the bottom don't show it of course, but thats ok. It is not latex, but was easy. I sure do wish I had used this on the 125g show tank, painted a plain brown on that, doesn't look as nice, but its ok. I'm not ambitious enough to scrape it off & spray paint it with fish in it, upside down, might be a problem with fumes to say nothing of down on the floor spraying up inside the cabinet!!!!!!!! Hhahahahaha :P :P

& yes, I do use styrofoam under all the tanks too, insulation, but not sure why else, lol Dottie ;D ;D ;D

Todd77357
07-20-2003, 10:23 PM
I use black plastic instead of painting the bottom, back, and sides. This way if for some reason a scratch, chip, etc. appears on the front I can turn the tank without having to scrape off paint.

susankay1
07-20-2003, 11:43 PM
Here are a few ideas for you, pictures of what an artist friend did for me so that my discus wouldnt get bored....we sorta call it a day at the beach...enjoy!!!

jeep
07-21-2003, 09:19 AM
My question is; Do most of you paint the bottom of your tanks(on the outside) to cut down on the glare?
I was wondering if the glare or reflection would scare or make the fish uneasy.

The glare can only be seen from the outside of the tank, not the inside. The fish can't see it.