PDA

View Full Version : Rummy-Nose Tetras.

mario
06-27-2003, 12:29 PM
I know this is a discus board, so I was not really sure where I can post this question. I thought that with so many hobby breeders around here, I'm sure somebody can give me some pointers.

I have a planted 90 gallon tank that is going to be the future home of some discus. Currently, it is housing a school of rummy-nose tetras and cories. I really would like to increase the school of rummy-nose tetras by breeding them. Does anybody here have some first- (or second-) hand experience in breeding these guys? I'm really interested in the breeding setup used, food used for conditioning, mating a pair vs a group, water conditions, ... I'm thankful for any information.

Feel free to pm or e-mail me any information, if this board is not the right place to discuss this. Thanks... mario

dred
06-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Try this link

http://www.google.com/search?q=tetra+breeding&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=ut f-8&oe=utf-8

Nightowl
06-28-2003, 03:35 AM
Hey Mario, Nightowl here. Rummy nose tetras are egg scatterers & like cardinal tetras are not often bred in captivity. I don't personally know of anyone breeding them anyway. All the rummies & cardinals I sell at work( I work at LFS) come direct from Brazil. I believe the two fish are found in the same waters. I also find a few unknown tetras mixed in w/ the rummies(I have 1!). The females, like most tetras, are the larger fish. They like flake, bbs, will eat blackworms, daphnia. When my black neons spawned, 2 or 3 males followed the gravid female as she scattered eggs. A 10 gal tank w/ a plant bed & a low ph , soft water and a group of males/females would do the trick...........maybe. Raising a group of rummyfry is probably a lot more difficult than raising a discus spawn! Good luck, JT(Nightowl) :vanish: