PDA

View Full Version : Tube Tank

iceskater
06-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Hi
For months now I have been wanting a tube tank. Does anyone here have one and how do you like it? Can/will/do adult discus go between the 2 tanks? And are there any issues with WC's and keeping them clean

Thanks

Karen

dred
07-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Ice Skater,

Yes, I have one. But, I can't answer all your questions since it is fairly recently setup and it houses juveniles (largest ~4.5").

I started with it planted and had great growth. But, I pulled plants and substrate for the time being when I was battling hex in the tank.

Regarding using both sides - makes for an interesting twist on ciclid behavior because the bottom of the pecking order is generally found in the opposite tank from the bully. I've also observed that they like to use the tube passages to sleep. And, each discus has a different take on the tubes. One always pokes around on the wall till he finds the passage - others negotiate the tubes as if they were open water.

I don't know if adult discus will be able to negotiate the tubes. The 4.5"er still has plenty of clearance, but he's very young (3.5" a month ago) and still has plenty of growing left.

I chased after this type of tank for years, and I recently got this one. Discus were the fancy residents I decided on, but I see a tetra community type environment replacing the Discus as I want more water (100 gal plus). But, it is a fun tank and it gives the discus a few extra options.

Here is what it looked like just after the Discus arrived (day 1). Please enjoy the tank, but those spotteds look horrible compared to their current condition and the goldens were still sorta faded (they had a rough shipping experience, but at least their gills were still wet when they got here). By the time I pulled the plants last week, the long grass had reached the surface and started growing horizontally there, and the Swords were huge. I'll take a pic of it bare as soon as the pleco catches up with the algea that arrived in force to replace the missing plants.

milton