PDA

View Full Version : What strains are these?

SimmonM
06-29-2003, 12:47 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Simmon and I've been thinking for awhile now about starting a Discus tank. I've spent the majority of the past three months researching, checking out websites and forums (I find this one to be one of the better resourse forums) and talk to the local LFS guy.

My interest jump started my neighbors interest in these beautiful fish. I'm unclear as to how much research he's done on them but he picked up four. I'm just curious as to what sort of strains these are (I know very little concerning the different strains).

Also, is it possible just by looking at these pics to determine the overall condition of these fish? I only ask because I plan on picking up specimens from the same store my neighbor went to.

Thanks in advance!
Simmon

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d809b3127cce8a4a57e07ade0000001610

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d809b3127cce8a4a6b887aa80000001610

April
06-29-2003, 12:59 AM
hi and welcome.
i would say the first is a red turquoise variety. and the second a pigeon blood variety.
in my honest opinion...you could do alot better getting from a hobbyist. there are a few on this site who live near new york or in new york
there is also a young man in new jersey who has some nice fish possibly for sale. and theres a few others.
maybe someone can help him out with who he can talk to.i believe theres david webber and theres also frank. . who else? and tyler in new jersey.
if you went to see a breeder hobbyist....they can give you alot of great pointers in person as to what to look for.
and what to avoid.
theres a good possibility those fish may not grow that big. alot of fish in the lfs (discus) get behind on growth and may never grow properly and some never grow anymore. whereas a breeder...they get optimum care and a good start so grow better.
best thing you can do is daily fairly large wc's and lots of small but frequent feedings to get good growth. and bare bottom tanks to begin with
glad your enjoying simply. read as much as you can.and you will be ready for your first discus.
most who sign on and read do quite well with their first group of discus . its always nice to see.

TKD-MAN
06-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Hi Simmon :wave:, she has given you some great advice :thumbsup:. You should take it :idea:. I would ;D.

TKD-MAN
06-29-2003, 01:41 AM
"Also, is it possible just by looking at these pics to determine the overall condition of these fish? I only ask because I plan on picking up specimens from the same store my neighbor went to."

YES! Take the advice. :-X

SimmonM
06-29-2003, 01:43 AM
Thank you April and TKD-Man.

Yes, I definitely will look into breeders now. I am still a long ways off from actually purchasing any Discus as there is so much to know about them.

Thanks once again!
Simmon
Simmon_Mohan@yahoo.com

afick1975
06-29-2003, 06:46 AM
I agree with you guys the fish don't look great to me. I would buy from someone like Joe or Cary.

Andre

April
06-29-2003, 01:30 PM
great. when your ready...ask where you can get fish. im sure lots of recommendations will come in. some near you or there are some great breeders who will ship also.
and then let us all know when you get them and what you got...and we;d love to see pics or help with any questions that arise.