PDA

View Full Version : HOW MANY DISCUS IN 45 GALLON DECORATED TANK?

njlexus
06-30-2003, 04:40 PM
HELLO,
JUST WANT TO START BY SAYING''GREAT SITE''
I AM GETTING READY TO SET UP A NEW 45 GALLON TANK FOR DISCUS FISH.THE TANK WILL SIT IN MY LIVING ROOM SO I WOULD PREFER TO HAVE A DECORATED TANK AS OOPPOSED TO A BARE BOTTOM TANK.I HOPE U UNDERSTAND.ANY WAY HOW MANY DISCUS CAN I PUT INTO A DECORATED 45 GALLON AND WHAT SIZE SHOULD I GET?I KNOW ALOT OF U GUYS LIKE TO PUT THEM IN BB TANKS BUT I REALLY WANT A SHOW TANK FOR MY LIVING ROOM.I ALSO WORK ALOT SO I WAS WONDERING IF A WATER CHANGE EVERY 2TO 3 DAYS WOULD BE OK?ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!THANKS :)

Carol_Roberts
06-30-2003, 04:49 PM
With the decorated tank and your work schedule you should get adult or nearly adult discus. A male and female pair would be nice if you plan on other tankmates.

You could put 4 discus in the tank, but there may be lots of fighting if a pair forms and they take over a portion of the tank.

njlexus
06-30-2003, 05:22 PM
THANK U FOR YOUR ADVICE.BUT IS A WATER CHANGE EVERY 2 TO 3 DAYS OK?ALSO WHAT DO U RECCOMEND STORING WATER IN FOR WATER CHANGES?I LIVE IN A COND 1000 SQARE FEET AND DONT HAVE ALOT OF ROOM FOR OTHER TANKS AND BARRELLS AND SUCH BUT I DO HAVE A 15 GALLON TANK THATS NOT BEING USED AT THE MOMENT.I WAS THINKING THIS MIGHT MAKE A NICE STORAGE FACILITY AND ITS ALMOST 50 PERCENT OF THE WATER IN A 45.AM I RIGHT?

Carol_Roberts
06-30-2003, 10:33 PM
With adults you can get by with 30% - 50% water changes every couple of days if you mostly feed dry foods and vacuum the tank thoroughly at each water change. This is not the best case scenario, but will work.

Placing a 15 gallon under your main tank as a water resevoir is a good idea. With a pump water changes will be very easy.

Use as little gravel as possible. Actually I think bare tanks are just as pretty as gravel tanks.

iceskater
07-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi,
I have real heavy tree stump plants in my tank that stay down without gravel. They are beautiful. I would never use gravel again. You get use to it. And clean up is so much easier.

Bruce
07-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Hi,
I have real heavy tree stump plants in my tank that stay down without gravel. They are beautiful. I would never use gravel again. You get use to it. And clean up is so much easier.

I am interested in learning more about non-potted plants which don't need to be anchored in gravel. Can you please tell me more more about "treestump" plants you are familiar with, names, size, descriptions, even a few picts if its convenient?

Thanks.