PDA

View Full Version : Black Beard Alage

angel12
07-05-2003, 05:00 AM
yes its me again :) Ok ... everything was tickety boo however ive started to get an outbreak of Black Beard alage on my low level plants and bogwood (it is not out of control YET ;D )... I recently added 4 adult discus into my tank I user pure RO water recon to the perams of my Tank after testing my PO4 in the RO water and the Tank my Ro water is obv 0 ppm YET my Po4 is only .25 pmm in the Tank now this is not excesive in anyway I also change the water approx 30% every couple of days .... ?

So this is my thinking I have NOT been adding KNO3 as in the past few weeks and my Nitrate levels are no more than 2 ppm at any time so after reading chucks article page he mentions the soloution maybe that I need to start to outcompete the algae by increasing the Nitrate levels again ( he suggests that the BB is feeding on the Phosphate.. even though it is small) there are loads of green shoots in the tank so my plants are growing but the algae is around the edge of the leafs on my slow growing plants anubis and my crypts also on the Bogwood.... so maybe the plants are using all the avail NO3 and allowing the algae to use the PO4....

The thing I want to mention is that when I add the KNO3 I get a small residue on my suction cup of my thermometer and a build up inside the filter its is easy to wipe off but is white and slimey is this normal ....

anyway if anyone could advise as to if I am doing the right thing or if there is something missing in my argument I would again appreciate it

another point of concern is that If I add this KNO3 along with my existing ferts and minerals for my Ro water its becoming more like a soup .... does anyone else add KNO3 to there planted Discus tank ...

ChloroPhil
07-05-2003, 11:15 AM
You need to get your NO3 levels to at least 5ppm and adding KNO3 is the easiest way. Yes, your RO water is going to become more like a "soup" than pure water. But just keep this in mind. The maximum levels of NO3 and PO4 in a plant tank are WELL BELOW the target levels in any other type of aquarium, including Reef. All that stuff you're adding is going to be taken right out very quickly. If done correctly your water is very likely to be purer than any other water you may come across....including the stuff you drink from your tap. :)

Black Brush/Beard Algae is the DEVIL! I'm having a horrible time with it right now too. That stuff is trying very hard to overtake my tank and I'm having to fight just as hard to keep it from succeeding.

angel12
07-05-2003, 11:41 AM
Way to go Bio I knew you would be lurking about ;D I tell you this if it wasnt for you and rornca id be dead and buried by now with this planted tank Lark ;D ;D

As always your input is very much appreciated Now where did I put that KNO3 .... just got to figure out a way to get round this white deposit on my impeller ;)

richgrenfell
07-05-2003, 12:38 PM
I've used royal farlowellas (Sturisoma aureum) for BBA, they love the stuff!

Rich

ChloroPhil
07-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Rich,

I've got a school of 10 Siamese Algae Eaters, 2 Farlowella acus, 4 Ottocinclus, and 25 Amano shrimp in there right now and they're not even making a dent in in the overall algae epidemic.

Most of the BBA is on my wood, which I think is decaying still, and is creating a perfect home for the stuff. Unfortunately I'm trying to grow Java Moss on most of my wood and it's being a perfect host to all sorts of algae. Going along with that I can't put any of the really effective algae eaters ala Clown Plecos for fear of them ripping up the moss I'm having such a hard time growing.

Furthermore, being the numskull I am, for the first three months I was using a Saltwater pH test unknowingly and got everything established all wrong. Now, with the vast majority of slow growing plants I'm beside myself with green and brown furr on just about everything. To top it off my filter design is a CO2 hog (the sump inlet hole should have been near the top rather than the bottom) and my Anubias are yellowing no matter what I put into the tank to feed them. Everyone else is fine, but the hardiest plant in the tank isn't doing so hot....go figure! :)

Ok, I'm through *****ing. Just remember: Algae Happens to everyone, no matter how well things have gone in the past. Every day is a new day and a new battle.

richgrenfell
07-06-2003, 09:15 PM
I was actually quite surprised that the royala ate it. i was under the impression that no fish ate that stuff. I'm not a plant guy, so I really am of no help in that area. I use the hard to kill stuff. Java fern, Java moss, and anubias. I don't even feed the stuff. I just toss em in there and they grow!

Rich

richgrenfell
07-06-2003, 09:16 PM
P.S.
i did have a fuzz algae (ther green stuff) in a tank with crypts in it. I turned the light off for a few days, and that seemed to take care of it. I also cut the light duration by 2 hours per day....

angel12
07-07-2003, 04:17 AM
well Im sure Glad to see even the Gurus (Sorry Phil just had to mention that) have problems like we mortals have ... Like I said it is not taking over the tank as there are loads of new shoots and like you Bio it seems to be taking over the bogwood at the moment ive started to re into the KNO3 and see if it drops down ....

another good point you make is that yes every day a new challange comes along just when you think its safe a slight imbalance in the eco system throws it all out and alage of what ever type just doesnt need a second chance ..its a real predator...... always lurking there in the background waiting for the slightest oportunity...

Im going to stick with the KNO3 and see how things pan out my system has never got above 2ppm in regards to NO3 due to my W/C regime etc I like to keep water fresh for my adults as they are just settling in .. they are kicking of with each other trying to sort whos the Daddy !

:)

Harriett
07-07-2003, 03:00 PM
I have fought this evil algae and with some help from my local aquatic plant group in Chicagoland, knock on wood, it's gone. What I learned:
It is an imbalance of the presence of macros in the tank that allows the BB to take hold and conquer. You need to have ALL THREE MACROS: Potassium sulfate (K2NO3), potassium nitrate (KNO3), and Phospherus (PO4). In my 180g, I have slowly crept up the levels to the following and it is working: Weekly when I do my 70% water change, I add 1+1/4 tsp. K2NO3, 1/2 tsp. KNO3, and a bare pinch of PO4. I also add 25ml flourish and 20ml flourish iron with the macros once a week and repeat the flourish + iron mid week. I had all slow growers in the tank before and when I added 4-5 clumps of fast growing stem plants things improved immediately. I still couldn't get rid of the BB on my driftwood and eventually I pulled all the wood, soaked it in a light bleach/water solution for a day in a big rubbermaid container, and then did soaks/rinses with tap water 3 x day for 3 days. When I put the wood back in the tank, in was CLEAN. While I had the wood out soaking, I did a 3 day black out with blankets on the tank itself, opening up only to feed the discus. It worked--it's been months and not only am I algae free (I say this in revenrent whispers), but the plants are growing with a vitality ansd brilliance of color I have not gotten from them previously. Nitrates are at 5 and PO4 is at 0.5 on this regimen.
Best regards and HTH,
Harriett

ChloroPhil
07-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Well, after reaching in the tank to feel the Java Moss only to touch some slimey monster I removed all the moss and a few pieces of my wood. I then set about scrubbing as much of the algae off with a toothbrush as I could and did two large WC to suck all the crud out of the water. I'm not done yet, but I think I've finally got a leg up. No more Saltwater tests for me! :)