PDA

View Full Version : where can i buy epson salt at?

crazy4discus
07-07-2003, 04:13 AM
where can i get epson salt at?

ReeferKimberly
07-07-2003, 05:32 AM
heya david
hope ur doing awesome!
btw, any supermarket will have epsom salt and it's usually used to soak one's feet :)...but in our case, as a lax ;)
kimberly :-*

discuskrib
07-07-2003, 05:32 AM
i've bought it at walmart (pharmacy dept). grocery and drug stores also sell it. sales people will be happy to help. just ask!

crazy4discus
07-07-2003, 05:43 AM
is it under epson salt too? cus i bought a 50 lb of bag but its called solar salt and it says its for softing the water is it the same thing r no?

ReeferKimberly
07-07-2003, 05:48 AM
hmm never heard of it. don't use it till someone who has can tell you what it does....coul'd be harmful...

crazy4discus
07-07-2003, 05:54 AM
the worker told me it is epson salt but idk i used it didnt harm the fish but i dont kno if its gonna help the fish either so yeah i just dont kno lol

ReeferKimberly
07-07-2003, 05:59 AM
in response to your im,
i have bought epsom salt from stores like albertson's and long's. the stuff i bought came in a carton not a bag. the reason us discus ppl use epsom salt is to get rid of a blockage. do your discus show any sighs of bloating? if not, then i would not go with epsom, but just one table spoon of non-iodized salt per gallon, but it has to be non-iodized. your can get that at any supermarket really cheap also. knowing ur fish situation already, i would stick with the every day waterchanges, feed maybe a little less often if you really do think it's a blockage, raise the heat to 90, and either (depending on if you really do think it's a blockage) go with one of the two salts at i tbl spoon per gallon. do not use the solar salt until someone can clarify exactly what it is.
i hope everything works out ok, good luck

crazy4discus
07-07-2003, 06:11 AM
thanks kim but there not bloated tho there fins r just clamped and they breathe kinda hard

ReeferKimberly
07-07-2003, 06:46 AM
have they been scratching at all? maybe flashing against objects on the tank.....sounds a lot like fukes to me....
go check out the disease board for flukes, there is a ton of info there.

btw, if no bloating, then no, epsom won't do anything.

dred
07-07-2003, 11:00 AM
David,

Take a look at that bag of salt. Find the label that lists the ingredients. Is it 100% magnesium sulfate heptahydrate? If yes, then it is Epsom Salt. If it lists any additional ingredients it is not Epsom Salt.

And, Kim is right regarding its use as a laxative (actually works for people too) for your fish.

milton

crazy4discus
07-07-2003, 02:09 PM
alrite dred ill listen to you thanks

Fish_Fin-atic
07-07-2003, 10:22 PM
I don't know if you guys have "Bulk Barn" down in the States (I'm willing to bet you do, or have the equivallent thereof) but that's probably the cheapest place to buy Epson Salt because you don't pay for the packaging, you just scoop as much as you need into a plastic bag, and you pay by the pound/ounce. HTH

crazy4discus
07-08-2003, 12:50 AM
koo thanks finatic