PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter "Order of the Phoenix"

henryD
07-09-2003, 11:00 AM
I am a big HUGE Harry Potter fan. Even though I am older I love it. I don't have any kids but read everything that is put in front of me. That probably explains how I came across Potter.

However, I was quite dissapointed in recent book. I don't want to go into too much details. So please share your read on the book.

ReeferKimberly
07-09-2003, 03:34 PM
ok no one tell me what happens!! i am only on chapter 15. though i have noticed, pretty much the theme of the entire book is "it's pick on harry day" and everything revolves around dissapointment or sadness :( i think it needs a little more good times or the reader just gets depressed. i am thouroghly (sp) enjoying it despite this ;D
kimberly :-*

RandalB
07-09-2003, 03:50 PM
I liked it,
HP turns into the angry moody type.

Kim: It all turns out OK of course... Except for certain details... Can't tell you.

RandalB

PS: I read all the books my kids are interested in first, and watch the videos before they do too.

brewmaster15
07-09-2003, 04:10 PM
PS: I read all the books my kids are interested in first, and watch the videos before they do too.me too, but some of them are way over my head. Take that winnie the pooh. Man that cartoon has one heck of alot of sublime messages.

I mean really... a bear with drinking problem! You can't tell me the way he staggers around that the honey isn't fermented. and whats the significance of the name "sanders"

lastly why are their no female characters in the story line?

oh way of the topic here I know, but those kids movies get me thinking.

back to the Harry Potter book... so far I have read page the cover, page one, and a page or two in the middle.doesn't seem like it flows as well as the others did! :) just kidding the Mrs hasn't finished it yet.

-al

henryD
07-10-2003, 12:39 AM
Actually believe it or not but AL I think you need to go buy a lotter ticket or something.....because even your guessing has hit the nail on the spot.

That is my complaint of the book....just my 2 cent but I felt it did not flow as well. Also the story line was not as gripping....

I actually let the book sit around for a day during my vacation instead of staying up all night to finish it.

The previous book I pick up at midnight and finished it arund 6 am could not put the thing down.

I think she is trying to take us a different direction now that Riddle is back. Plus she is probably setting the stage for the big conflict in the final 2 books.

Ok so I read too much into the story. At least I don't think winnie is a drunken bear who is obsessed with boys named sanders.

Ps does piglet count as a femine character?

AndyL
07-10-2003, 01:41 AM
Heh, I finished the book on sunday (day after it was released) I thought it was the best of the books so far! Now I have to read it to my daughter at bedtime; which will force me to actually think about things more :)

As for the whole winnie the pooh thing... What is ruu's mom? Geeze, lets read up on our winnie the pooh :) (My wife is the Pooh head)

Andy

Carol_Roberts
07-10-2003, 01:48 AM
Lol, Roo's mom is Kanga

ReeferKimberly
07-10-2003, 02:38 AM
kanga = fem ;)

mench
07-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Well I agree that this book didn't seem to flow as well as the other books...and ole Harry is getting a bit moody...I think the writer is running out of bad things to happen to Harry.
Himmmmmm maybe the next book could have good ole Dark Lord getting set loose on the Muggles and all of the witches and sorcerers have to fight him and save the Muggles...with maybe not so much on the shoulders of Harry this time.....I would like to read more about the early years at Hogwarts,how it began and how He who Must Not Be Named grew up and turned bad etc,etc. Noe that could keep her busy for a long time...Or does anyone know if there is other books already out abut that subject????????

Mench

henryD
07-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Mench if you have not do so yet. Check out the earlier books. It is great. Start from the beginning. I think most of them are availible on paperback now. So you can save yourself a couple of bucks.

brewmaster15
07-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Andy,
serious question here... I have searched everywhere and asked all the POOH bear fans I know...

No one can tell me the significance of Pooh living under a sign with the name SANDERS on it. Sad as it is...Its killing me not knowing who the heck this sanders guy is that PooH evicted. :)

seriously , what am I going to tell my little girl when she starts reading and askes about that sign..

and I don't this helps any..
http://www.lavasurfer.com/pooh-faq2.html

-al

ps.. Harry Potter is pretty good, but IMHO...The Hobbit and related Books are better!

but heres a question for you potter fans... have any of you tried the Xanth books from Piers Anthony? if you haven't you should give it them a try.I swear theres Xanth influence on the potter stories. :)

henryD
07-10-2003, 01:54 PM
Ok...everyone will probably kill me here. I like Tolkien since he is the fore father of the genre but I only mildly like his books. It is just that I thought he spent too much time in describe the littlist details. But it is tough. Before I read his book I knew what a elf was already or had some ideas of it. What if I had no idea what an elf was? Would I appreciate his discriptions more? Maybe I would......

I also think the potter books have some C.S. Lewis influences. The Chronicles of Narnia comes to mind.

As for Xanth, I have not read it yet but on my way at lunch to pick up the first book.

PS...Since we are on the subject of books. I recommend Dan Brown book of Angles and Demons and Da Vinci Codes. Good read.

ReeferKimberly
07-10-2003, 04:33 PM
ok brew here it is for you, i got this from and indiaparenting site. maybe it's true:

Where did Pooh live?

Pooh lives in the hundred acre wood, deep in the Enchanted Forest, in a little house with a door. The name on the door reads 'Sanders', but that is not Pooh's last name. Mr. Sanders was the previous bear who lived in the house before Pooh moved in.

does that clear it up?
kimberly :-*

mench
07-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Henry,I have read and do own all the other books,and the dvd's and have the books on cd coming....

Mench

AndyL
07-10-2003, 10:29 PM
"When pooh arrive in the hundred acre woods, he saw a house that had a name on it; and since he can't read he thought it was his name and moved in" -- from the wife

Yeah, the story didn't seem to flow as well as the others, but at the same time at the end it did all make sense

Andy

henryD
07-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Sorry Mench I think I misunderstood you.