PDA

View Full Version : holding a siphon when switching tanks?

LobsterMobster
07-11-2003, 01:50 AM
I'm getting tired of unclogging the gunk in the faucet adaptor of my python. The main reason I do water changes is to vacuum the gunk off the bottom, and it seems like pythons aren't any good for this. Anyone else have the same problem?? The lack of suction isn't big on me either. I'm going to run the hose outside and do water changes the old fashioned way.

The problem is, I have 19 tanks that all need water changes and obviously I don't want to restart the siphon between tanks. What's the best way to keep the siphon on my gravel vac when I switch tanks?

Thanks,
KRIS

Smokey
07-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Kris - here is an d idea which will work , I use this method my self.
Go and pickup a inline open/close valve; cheap things!. Incert the valve near the syphon pick end. When you go from ane tank to the next; just CLOSE the valve. When you have placed the pickup into the the tank; just OPEN the vlave ... and water will stARt to flow/syphon.

I picked up a 3/4" one; cut the hose about two feet from the pick-up tube and slipped the hoses over the valve.

Works great ... and you can adjust the flow rate ... bonus !

Smokey

Rick_May
07-11-2003, 12:46 PM
when you are ready to move tanks just kink the hose.

Harriett
07-11-2003, 01:24 PM
My system: gravel tube-->valve---> 10 foot hose----->valve. I fill the hose with water from the faucet adapter and close it off at both ends, take it to the tank (at the other end of the house), pop the gravel cleaner onto the valve/hose and put the other end of the hose out the window above the garden. Open the valve in the water, then open the valve at the window end and away it goes. When the tank has been vacuumed and the water level is down to where I want it, I close the window end hose valve and bring the hose back inside. Then I attach a 25 foot hose to the faucet adapter and run it to the room with the tank, attach the hose that still has the one end one end in the tank, and fill (using a water conditioner.) Heavily planted tank, discus do fine with the whole deal. 180g tank, 70% water change weekly.
Harriett

wall_o_fish
07-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Rick --

I like your hi-tech valve idea! The kink! ;D

scott

Smokey
07-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Now you know; why we are called "SIMPLY"disucs.

07-13-2003, 01:01 AM
Smokey's valve is the best way. The other way is to connect a bulb type hand pump to start the vacuuming. You can get a gasoline siphoning pump from Automotive section in any store for a couple of dollars. The kind that kids use to steal you gasoline at night. ;D
Jimmy..

barron
07-13-2003, 01:51 AM
I made a pvc grav. drain.

Cost about $12.00

1 one inch id pvc pipe for water
2 0r 3 90 degree depending on discharge location.
1 Ball valve
1 y hose connector
1 end cap with female reducer.

I can drain and fill without changes hoses. And clean tank by attaching a short hose to the y connector and the draining picks up the prim for the cleaner.

If you put a quick connector on the y you just go from tank to tank with one drain hose and cleaner hose.

Barron :)

Rick_May
07-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Hey scott,
My other idea was to stick your finger in the end :jester:

DavidH
07-21-2003, 05:00 PM
I'm with Rick, ;)