PDA

View Full Version : Fish arrive, ammonia vs acclimitization

AndyL
07-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Hey folks,

My 6 discus arrived from my breeder this morning! Small glitch, ammonia is testing really high from the water they are in... Due to differing water conditions, I'm expecting about a 3-4 hour acclimatization (slow drip from airline method) But the ammonia levels are bugging me; should I 'up' the rate to get those levels down quickly or?

The breeder tells me he did add nova aqua to the bags; not sure if that will make a difference.

darcy
07-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Maybe the breeder is Severely Challenged when it comes to experience with shipping discus!!!!! ;) ;) Thats about all the help I can give you!!!!!!!

Darcy

AndyL
07-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Maybe the breeder is Severely Challenged when it comes to experience with shipping discus!!!!! Thats about all the help I can give you!!!!!!!

Darcy

Maybe your right :) He sure sells gorgeous fish tough!

Andy

darcy
07-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Really?? gorgeous????? Are you sure? Maybe someone spray painted them!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!! I will check back all day to see how you and the fish are doin!!!!! "breeder" thats a nice one ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darcy

lauris
07-11-2003, 12:16 PM
While I am sure stupid and/or unhelpful comments are allowed (especially from global moderators), I would like to think that postings which include pejorative terms related to disability, gender, ethnicity or whatever are discouraged. I don't mean to be overly politically correct, but "retard" has no place in adult discourse.

darcy
07-11-2003, 12:36 PM
Hmmm sorry to offend anyone!! I was talking about myself!!! So these post are not meant to offend!!! I'm usually described worse than that!!!
LOL!!!!!! Sorry to offend. Bash me if need be ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darcy

AndyL
07-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Darcy: they're in tank :)

Oh my god; even better than I was expecting; I'm not seeing any ammonia burns; They're happy and healthy (fins were clamped taking pics, but they've let em hang out since) Check your email!

Andy

ronrca
07-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Use lots of ammonia detox like Seachem prime plus lots of water changes. Next step to worry about is the nitrites.

Glad you got some fish Andy! Many thanks to Darcy to shipping them up north! ;)

darcy
07-11-2003, 02:10 PM
Good deal Andy!!!!!! I checked my email lol!!! have fun with them and glad you like!!! Keep me posted(I know I've said that a million times).

Ron are u next for me to try??

Darcy

AndyL
07-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Good deal Andy!!!!!! I checked my email lol!!! have fun with them and glad you like!!! Keep me posted(I know I've said that a million times).

Ron are u next for me to try??

Darcy

Hah, tho this isn't the place... This post needs eye candy :) and I'm all for showing off!

http://members.shaw.ca/skeeter1/55gRSG1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/skeeter1/55gRSG2.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/skeeter1/55gRSG3.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/skeeter1/55gRSG4.jpg

I LIKE I LIKE!

Carol_Roberts
07-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Hi Lauris:
Darcy IS the breeder and shipper. It is unfortunate that wasn't stated up front. Reread the thread now and you will see it in a totally different light. AndyL bought the fish from Darcy and Darcy is poking fun at himself . . . . AndyL is happy with his fish.

April
07-11-2003, 06:53 PM
Heh congrats Andy!!
next time reach in the bag with your hands..pull the fish out of that ammonia water...and throw it in the tank of good water. safer and if you add water to that bad water or even air.it instantly becomes more toxic.
even after 50 hours travelling from asia or whereever the breeders now just snip and dump.
Glad they made it fine.
Now you can start enjoying....those nice fishies.
DARCY!..mr. breeder /mod....they look good. :thumbsup.
like the rt looking ones the best.

darcy
07-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Now Ron is Mr. breeder/mod???? LOL!!!! April those are mine all mine!! No I guess there are Andy's now!!!

Darcy

April
07-11-2003, 08:04 PM
LOL whoops.ok Darcy mr. breeder /mod.
my mistake. all those canadian mods look the same...lol.
ok Darcy. like the fishies good job. : ))

darcy
07-11-2003, 11:25 PM
LMAO!!!! Thanks April!!!! I'm sure all of us Canucks look the same!!! Ron have you got any fry? Cmon you must have!!

Darcy

brewmaster15
07-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Hi Lauris,
First let me say that I wouldn't exactly call this...

While I am sure stupid and/or unhelpful comments are allowed (especially from global moderators), being politically correct either. :) and certainly not tactful on your part... Please note The global moderators here are members too . But they are just the ones that donate their time to making this site as Useful, and Helpful as it is.

second... Darcy assures me it was not meant in a derrogatory fashion against anyone here. It was him making fun of himself... bad choice of words....but mistakes happen. I will edit his post appropriately.

take care,
al

ronrca
07-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Maybe the breeder is Severely Challenged when it comes LOL Al!

No fry yet Darcy! I got some discus from Ken 3-4 weeks ago. They are really looking good. At the moment, all of my discus are under 1 year so breeding is still a ways off. A good way to learn and practise patience. ;D