PDA

View Full Version : Help! Yeast and sugar got in the tank!!!

tyrancooper
07-11-2003, 10:55 PM
I was using a DIY CO2 setup (yeast, sugar and water in a 2 liter bottle) for my 30 gallon planted tank. A little of this mixture accidently flowed into the tank on day when I was at work. Now the water is milky white with cottony white fungus growing on everything! I did a 70% water chang and put a new filter in my Emperor filter ( I left the biowheel alone). But nothing has changed.

I need advice! :scared:

Should I tear the whole tank down and start over?

I'm so angry at myself for letting this happen I should have used one of those little contraptions that prevent backflow!

Tyra

AndyL
07-11-2003, 11:28 PM
Should I tear the whole tank down and start over?

I'm so angry at myself for letting this happen I should have used one of those little contraptions that prevent backflow!

Tyra

Just went through this a while ago... Pain in the tookus... But don't use a one way valve, bad news there's a nice little water filled jar setup on thekrib that does better (it wont clog).

Pull your fish from the tank, clean out a front corner so you can put the syphon below the level of the substrate, syphon every drop of water you can get out... Refill, the tank to the top, scrub, and repeat.

Doing multiple <100% water changes wont accomplish anything. I tried for 4 days, changing over 500% per day. The fix was to drain the tank completely a few times.

No worries, tank will be as good as new soon!

Andy

ChloroPhil
07-12-2003, 09:12 AM
Andy,

Are you the same who just posted on his fish on Aquabotanic?

AndyL
07-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Andy,

Are you the same who just posted on his fish on Aquabotanic?

Yep, they were posted here first tho :)

Andy

tyrancooper
07-12-2003, 06:11 PM
How can I safely decontaminate the plants? I have some large anubius that I really do not want to lose. :-\

Tyra

AndyL
07-13-2003, 11:19 AM
If you've got the water cleared up, and the plants still have that fuzz, just a quick wipe with an algae sponge or whatever will take the muck off... My ottos took care of most of that fuzz for me.

Andy

tyrancooper
07-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks, Andy!

I started the cleanup process a couple of hours ago. I've still got a way to go.

Tyra

AndyL
07-13-2003, 07:25 PM
Sorry about the confusion :) I just assumed you gave up on cleaning things up and decided to bleach the works...

As for the filter, just rinse it out, you've probably noticed it clogs up most goodly very quickly. Which means you'll be stuck doing it a couple times a day; just make sure to use treated water and all should be fine. As the additional current knocks the slime loose the filter will collect it; so try to keep it clean.

Andy

dreamer
07-15-2003, 10:34 PM
so i guess im not the only one ;) it happened to me couple months back...i dont have enough patient to keep doing wc cos i cant get rid of the 'milky' water. so i take everything out...

fishboy
07-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Same happened to me, except it was from so idiot kids that decided to squeeze the bottle and push all of the contents out, which sucked...