PDA

View Full Version : Potted plants in a BB tank

richgrenfell
07-12-2003, 03:53 PM
I just moved a group of turks to my 90, that I recently stripped, bleached, and started over. I want to put a couple of large potted swords in there. I have always kept BB tanks with discus. my question is what type of media should be in the pots? I don't want to put anything in there that will tinker with the water chemistry.

Rich

Sketchy
07-12-2003, 04:40 PM
...fill the pots with flourite by Seachem. It is a great substrate, rich in iron. A 15 lb. bag should cost about $23.

ChloroPhil
07-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Good choice Sketchy!

richgrenfell
07-12-2003, 11:10 PM
The iron won't change my TDS?

rich

angel12
07-13-2003, 04:12 AM
you can also use Rabbit poop if its s a top fert in addition to the substrate mentioned above my m8 sticks it in his potted plants they are abs superb he just sticks a couple of pellets in the substrate every week or so and bobs your uncle.
HTH

its just another alternative to providing nutirent to the plants

:)

ChloroPhil
07-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Rich,

No, the Iron won't affect your TDS. Flourite has a very high Cation Exchange Capacity, making it very easy for nutrients to reduce and your plants to access those nutrients. Flourite makes roots happy..:)

richgrenfell
07-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Cool! Thanks,
this group of Turks I got (that the pet store asked me to get and now they don't want), are a skittish bunch. I thought they might feel more at ease if I put a couple of large plants in there for them.

Rich

richgrenfell
07-13-2003, 08:52 PM
One more question....I use laterite once, and I wasn't very happy. Made a mud puddle of my tank. Does fluorite make a mess like that?

Rich

AndyL
07-13-2003, 09:28 PM
One more question....I use laterite once, and I wasn't very happy. Made a mud puddle of my tank. Does fluorite make a mess like that?

Rich

Laterite is meant to be mixed with substrate or preferably kept under a layer of substrate... Flourite is not a gravel modifier, its a substrate. Use it alone. No it wont make a mess.

Andy

richgrenfell
07-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Thanks Andy. I'm not exactly versed in the plant care thing. my main focus has always been to breed, so I use the hard to kill stuff and that's it. Thanks again...

Rich

TomFromStLouis
07-13-2003, 11:03 PM
bigalsonline.com has Flourite for $11/bag + shipping fyi.

Jason
07-14-2003, 12:01 AM
I got 4 or 5 bags here, anyone who wants to pay the shipping could have it!

Mattzilla
07-20-2003, 06:02 AM
or you could forget about the pot and subtrate and just go for some planted drifwood.... i have some and it looks great

here is a photo...it's not a very good one but it's the only one i have. my discus love it

matt

ChloroPhil
07-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Matt,

Would you be willing to do a quick write up about your experiences with that setup? Ralph (a former mod) and I were working on an article highlighting such "Hybrid Tanks". I've been suggesting them to many people but didn't have a picture to go with it.

I'd really love a first hand account to put up here in the forum to link back to as a reference.

Thanks

Mattzilla
07-20-2003, 08:00 AM
will do mate
can't tonight though...i'm at work and i'm about to finish soon. i'll do something up over the next couple of days...and i'll get some photos together.

matt

korbi_doc
07-20-2003, 09:21 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: Hey Matt, That looks great, just what I've been trying to do!! I Flunked with plants, got a bunch sent in, most have just rolled over & died!! A couple tied on driftwood may survive. I'm really disappointed. Had put 4 swords in pots in my 125g & they've done great, need to redo them but they are large & green. I love the driftwood with plants, hope I can get these to survive, but they are looking critical so far. (did use Flourish, Seachem)

Found a product by Schultz-Aquatic plant soil. Safe for fish, does not cloud water. Am going to use it to repot my swords, anyone familiar with this one?? lol, Dottie ;D

ChloroPhil
07-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Dottie,

Try also adding Seachem Excel for your plants. Even though not a complete suppliment regimen Flourish and Excel will help out quite a bit in sparsely "planted" aquariua. Also, the Shultz AP Soil is great stuff, if a bit light. I've grown some really nice plants in it before. One thing you will want to do is put some sort of small grain gravel or sand in the base of the pot to give the plants' roots some purchase, AP Soil is fairly light.

Mattzilla
07-21-2003, 11:24 PM
to be honest i have never added anythign to my tank specifically for my plants!!! they just survive on the many w/c i guess!!!