PDA

View Full Version : Need help repairing 44 pentagon Tank

MikefrMd
07-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

I've developed a leak in my 44 Gallon Pentagon tank half way down one the front seams. Can this be repaired reliably?

Thanks for any help

Mike

snowshoe
07-13-2003, 06:37 PM
HI MIKE,
THIS TANK CAN BE REPAIRED. YOU MUST REMOVE ALL OF THE SILICONE FROM THIS SEAM INSIDE AND OUT. THE SILICONE MUST BE REMOVE COMPLETLY. CLEAN THE SEAM WITH ACETONE. REPLACE THE SILICONE ( MAKE SURE IT IS AQUARIUM GRADE--ITS STRONGER). THE TOUGHEST PART IS MAKING THE SEEM LOOK EVEN AND PROFESSIONAL. A FOOT NOTE THOUGH IS THAT THAT TYPE OF TANK IS PRONE TO LEAKS. I WORKED AT AN AQUARIUM MANUFACTURER (MODERN AQUARIUMS) HEX ARE SECOND FOR LEAKS.

GOOD LUCK

barron
07-13-2003, 10:16 PM
Hi Tim

I am wondering if the top brace would also need to be removed.

Thanks

Barron

MikefrMd
07-13-2003, 11:21 PM
Hi Tim,

I will give it a try with the cost of a replacement tank at $240 it's definately worth a try.

In your opinion even with the repair is this something that I will alway have to worry about....the seals failing in this 10 year old tank?

May be time for a new 55 gallon rectangular tank, Everyone tells me they are much less prone to leaking.

Thanks for the input,

Mike

snowshoe
07-16-2003, 08:16 PM
HI mike,

sorry for the delay. Ime those tanks are the worst for leaks but that doesnt meant that they aer all bad. The stand location, levelness, etc can affect there performance. The top brace should not be removed. You want to just repair that seam. let me know how you make out.

Tim Bennett