PDA

View Full Version : Converting carbon filters

bikhu
07-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi All,
I have several old filters including Whispers and Penguins that I would like to convert from using carbon. I use mainly Aqua Clear filters that I really like. For additional applications I would rather be able to use the filters I have than spend more money on equipment that I could spend on food and fish!!!
What if I put landscape pumice and sponge instead of the carbon? Thoughts? Suggestions? Experience?
Thanks
much metta,
peter

Todd77357
07-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Whispers just don't put carbon in the "filter bags", and Pen. use a razor blade to cut the top of the cartridge and dump out the carbon. Never tried filling my waterfall filters with rocks or sponge, but feel free to try and let me know how you like it.

Samurai
08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
You cna use whatever you want, I'd recomend using old women's pantyhose, thouroughly rinsed of course, I even used to boil my moms! If you're a PURIST ;D though you're going to wat to buy a simple filter bag from any number of online retailers, they run aobut 2 bucks a piece

brewmaster15
08-14-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi peter.. Buy an aquaclear 500 replacement sponge... $4.00 online....$8.00 at lFS. Take a new razor blade and cut this to fit the filters.

pumice in a stocking or ceramic nodules will also work but because the whispers what flow is to the side and back first (unlike the aquaclear 500 which is dispersed along the bottom of the media and out the top) . They work best if you leave some space to the back of the box for water flow .This will allow an even flow thru the media. thats one reason I like to retrofit them with the more rigid sponges like the aquaclears replacements.

hth,
al