PDA

View Full Version : partial graveled tank

trizoy
07-14-2003, 10:40 PM
I have a 30 gal tank. I have heard many recomendations about having a bare bottom and they sound right. But they are not much for show. I have tried to find a happy medium by having just enough gravel to cover the bottom and also adding plastic plants for discus cover.

would it still be possible to grow discus from 2 in to about 6 in.

thanks

BlueTurquoise
07-14-2003, 11:08 PM
That's fine in my books. However I find that the plastic plants just means more hard work as they get quite dirty and stain quite badly with algae. There is the other issue about cover, some people think that discus in tanks without cover are braver and spook less easily and some reckon the other way around.

Whatever you decide it is a matter of keeping the tank as clean as possible. I feel that the gravel just surves to act against you in that it hides fish waste and bits of uneaten food. If you feel that you can manage then by all means go for it. You can always remove it again later on if you run into cleaning problems, esp if you are growing out young fish and feeding them a lot/often.

Good luck!

Carol_Roberts
07-14-2003, 11:53 PM
Hi Trizoy, Welcome to SimplyDiscus :wave:

I don't know if it is possible to grow discus to 6 inches in a 30 gallon tank with gravel. It depends on many things - how many discus will you have and how much work are you prepared to do?

Let me ask you a question. I live 5 miles from work . Is it possible for me to ride my Bike to work rather than drive a car? Yes, it is possible, but I would have to get up much earlier in the morning and would arrive very sweaty. Why ride a bike when I can drive a car. . . . why make it hard on yourself? The best way to grow out juveniles is in a bare tank with lots of good food and water changes.

trizoy
07-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks for you comments. I feel like the extra work is worth it to see discus swimming in a more natural environment than a bare tank. I also like your question and in response eventhough riding a bike to work will tire and make a person sweaty it will provide the person with good exercise and will help the environment. So maybe it is how one looks at it.

Maybe a better question to I should have asked is will the small amount of gravel and platic plants stunt discus as long as the tank is properly taken care of?

thanks

BlueTurquoise
07-15-2003, 11:14 PM
In truth no it won't but it just makes life that more difficult as it is more work to keep clean. You have to be EXTRA diligent. I have problems keeping a 20gal with 4 babies (less than 3 inches) clean, and that was a 4 week quarantine with daily 50% water change, I can't imagine long term... it's hard when they eat and poop alot ;)

Actually, I don't want to start a debate or anything but, the natural habitat of discus has seldom live plants most of the year. During the rainy season though the trees of the amazon are flooded which provides cover for breeding and fry. Even then, most of the submerged plant material is mainly rotting leaves, submerged branches and mainly logs and bog wood... Just a thought :)

Desertdrifter
07-16-2003, 11:58 PM
I am not the expert that some(most) are on this board but I put a layer of silicone down poured gravel in pushed the gravel down let the silicone set up then shop vac out the loose gravel, you end up with a almost smooth surface. This is in a 150 gallon show tank with large drift wood stumps.I just started a fifty gallon bare bottom tank for a grow out ,but its in a storage room. PS .this site is full of great info. and I agree bare bottom tank is the way to go but I think its ugly (SORRY)

BlueTurquoise
07-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! ;)

ChloroPhil
07-17-2003, 08:35 PM
Personally, I think a well planted aquarium is the only way to show the true beauty and behavior of an adult discus. I have been known to be extremely opionionated and stubborn though. :)

If you're interested in growing out fish or are just looking for a way to provide your sterile BB tank with some attractive cover try some wood covered in epiphytic plants. A few pieces of wood covered with Java Moss, Riccia, Java Fern, Anubias, Watersprite, or African Water Fern is an excellent compromise between a fully planted (and graveled) tank and the completely empty BB.

Not only does a tank like this maintain some cover and a more natural background for your fish, it's also very easy to clean. Most mulm will come right out with a regular siphon. If you want to make sure you get every last bit all you need do is remove the wood while cleaning then drop it back in.