PDA

View Full Version : Lighting

tau
07-15-2003, 08:37 PM
:sun: Does lighting improve a discus way of life? If so what kind of light is best for them? Also, please explain how long should the light be on in a given day. :sun:

ChloroPhil
07-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Discus prefer darker lighting if they have no cover. If you provide them with something to hide near they'll do fine in just about any light. Coloration is another thing entirely, make sure the bottom of your tank isn't reflective or the extra light will wash the colors out some.

aix
07-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Hi!

Is your tank planted or BB? For fish lighting is not usually so critical but for plants...

tau
07-16-2003, 12:31 PM
The tank is a bare bottom. What I mean to ask was if the discus's biology is affected by light. I keep lizards and tortoise, and they need proper lighting to process vitamin D3. Is this the same with fish, or does the light just make them more comfortable. ???

dred
07-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Tri,

Interesting question - here's what I know about lighting needs.

First the cycle needs to be consistent. 8, 12, 18, 24 hour light is fine. But at the 24 hour cycle you might notice the fish appear slower or sorta listless. I understand that dosng discus fry with 24 hour light will inhibit the development of their stress bars. So, some breeders do this to improve the appearance of young fish thereby making them more saleable. My personal opinion: I like stress bars - it's hard enough to decipher discus talk and deliberately removing that signal could prove hazardous. The fish will turn the bars off when they are happy and secure.

Second lighting should come from above. Light is used by Discus to get their vertical plane oriented. So, lighting from the side would probably result in fish the swim with a list.

hth, milton

tau
07-19-2003, 04:27 AM
Dred, thanks for the reply!

Carol_Roberts
07-19-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi Tri:
I turn my tanks lights on at dusk or when I get home from work in the winter. You will have less problems with algea and brown diatoms if you limit the tank lights to when you are home to view the fish.

barron
07-20-2003, 07:30 AM
And save on the electric bill

Barron ;D

tau
07-21-2003, 02:58 PM
Barron and Carol, Thanks for the reply. From what I'm hearing from both of you, lighting is only needed for viewing and has no affect the the fish. Is this safe to say?

Carol_Roberts
07-21-2003, 06:32 PM
Yes, the lighting is for our benefit. I think the discus prefer low lighting.

tau
07-21-2003, 07:23 PM
I wish I could have known this 1 month ago. I could have saved a couple of dollars on electricity. Thanks Carol, this money I'll be saving will go toward a new tank.