PDA

View Full Version : plastic plants

trizoy
07-15-2003, 11:34 PM
I have plastic plants in my discus tank and have minimal algae growth on them. I was wondering is cleaning them once a week enough or should I clean them every water change. Also, what is the best way to clean them. I have just been scrubing them in hot water. Is that enough to kill any bad bacteria on the plant or should I soak them in a diluted bleach solution. I am a little apprehensive about getting bleach any where near my aquarium.

Thanks

Carol_Roberts
07-15-2003, 11:44 PM
Once a week in hot tap water should br more than adequate

wiseone
08-10-2003, 11:53 AM
thnx this solved my problem as well!

Luca
08-10-2003, 08:40 PM
the lady at my LFS said gin worked like a charm to get really stuck on algae from plastic plants. sounds like an expensive solution however ;)

BlueTurquoise
08-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Why waste perfectly good gin! :o ;D

Luca
08-10-2003, 10:36 PM
depends how determined i guess you are to get rid of it!

a light bleach solution is really the best way / most cost effective!
trizoy, if you do use bleach use a 1:19 ratio (1 litre bleach: 19 litres water), then wash them thoroughly and i'd also let them sit in a bucket of water aged water for 2-3 days, changing the water (and adding fresh water ager) every 24 hours.

Water ager is a dechlorinator. The main component of bleach is chlorine. A product that removes chlorine and chlormines will be more effective.

goodluck!

yippy
08-11-2003, 06:24 AM
I agree with Chong! I pull my plastic/silk plants out and soak them in hot water and salt. by the time my tank is refilled theyre nice and clean, hardly have to scrub them, just rinse them. i do mine every second w/c and theres hardly any algae on them anyway (if at all - but i still soak them). When i had my outdoor goldfish set-up i used to get alot of algae on the plastic plants and it worked real good on them. Dont waste your gin!
Yippy :)

ronrca
08-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Once you have them cleaned, wiping them at every water change will really up because it does not get the algae a chance to grow. Weekly will work also but wiping daily is better depending on how much work it is though. ;)