PDA

View Full Version : My tank setup

phonics69
07-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Could anyone tell me if the filter i have for my tank will be enough to keep discus or should i get another one to run with it. I have a juwel 180 litre tank so i have the standard filter which comes with it, With the comunity fish i had it always kept the water crystal clear and got rid a lot of the dirt.Also the heater that comes with it, will that be able to cope with heating the tank for discus, Im not entirely sure what wattage it is but it obviously is strong enough to heat the tank as it was sold with it, Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

angel12
07-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Hello there phonics69 In answer to your question I have exactly the same tank as you and It is planted and I have 4 adults some corries and Cardinal and Black neon Tetras in there I have added a large sponge filter powered by an Air pump This is not necessary but I have added it as en extra precaution in case the the main filter stops for any reason ..

My tank is slightly overstocked but I do water changes every other day of approx 30-40% ....

as for the heater this is more than enough to take it up to any temp the discus require mine runs at 84F without any problems what so ever I have even taken it up to 96F (its a 200w heater by the way)

Good to see another Peeps from the UK
You will find loads of Good information on this site and realy nice peeps to boot

HTH

;D

phonics69
07-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the good advice angel12. Can i ask where bouts in the uk you are? and do you have a gravel bottom on your tank?and how well planted is your tank? I am really keen to purchase some discus and am planning on buyin some in the next few weeks, i just want to make sure i know all there is too know first. Many Thanks

angel12
07-19-2003, 07:30 PM
IVe pmd you if there is anything I can help you with Id be more than happy but the best advice I can give is ...there are plenty of articles and posts on here that wil help you keep the Discus to the best of your ability if you read read and read again also as I have ask questions there are loads of members out there who will gladly share there tips and experience with you

Good Luck

:)