PDA

View Full Version : hiding but eating

trizoy
07-19-2003, 05:26 PM
I have three discus in my tank. I just got two of them about four days ago. They are all eating well, but whenever I walk into the room the two new ones dart for cover.

I have sneaked into the room a couple of times and have noticed that when they think I am not there they all swim and school around together and search for food.

I have more than enough places for them to hide and am wondering if that is making them timid.

I have tested my water before I got them and everything looked fine. Almost no ammonia, no nitrites, and a fair amount of nitrates. (Don't know exact amounts)

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

thanks

angel12
07-19-2003, 07:25 PM
I wouldnt worry to much they need to get used to you being around the tank just cary on as you normaly would water changes and all ..they will still be getting used to there new surroundings if you do as the above they will come round also stand in front of the tank or near it so that they get used to what might seem to them a big shadow coming at them .... you also mention you have 3 is this adults or juveniles if the later they may be a bit wary as normaly at this age there is saftey In Numbers

HTH

Carol_Roberts
07-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Angel is correct.

Pretty soon they will recognize you as the food source and run to greet you.

barron
07-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Hi

I just want to add, Check your water all need to be zero and nitrate less then 10 better at zero to 5.

I have tested my water before I got them and everything looked fine. Almost no ammonia, no nitrites, and a fair amount of nitrates. (Don't know exact amounts)

Barron :)

trizoy
07-23-2003, 09:54 PM
You were right about security coming with numbers. I recently added three juveniles to my other three juveniles and they are much less shy.

All six of them are schooling around together. Really cool.

thanks for the tips